M
Posted By
Mark
Dec 14, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using irfanview and love it except it doesnt colour manage so Im giving Thumbs Plus a try.

It colour manages but I find it not as intuative as IV. Also I hate the way when I open a file it opens 2 windows, the picture and the viewer. Can this be disabled?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MC
Martin Chiselwitt
Dec 14, 2003
i use the built in viewer which comes with XP or ACDSee…

Mark wrote:

I have been using irfanview and love it except it doesnt colour manage so Im giving Thumbs Plus a try.

It colour manages but I find it not as intuative as IV. Also I hate the way when I open a file it opens 2 windows, the picture and the viewer. Can this be disabled?

PF
Paul Furman
Dec 14, 2003
I use IV as the default file association for quick opening, re-sizing, middle-mouse-button scrolling through a single folder & launching PS but I use ACDsee 4.0 for intensive thumbnail browsing. I don’t like IV’s thumbnail browser at all. Newer versions of ACD are supposed to be crappy, older versions lack some useful features like drag & drop sorting. Both lack a useable annotation feature, ACD’s database becomes corrupt over a certain size and should NOT be used.

Mark wrote:

H
Hecate
Dec 15, 2003
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:51:18 +0700, "Mark" wrote:

Thumbsplus is an image database. It’;s for cataloging and archiving your images and as such it does an excellent job. Using it as an image viewer is not the best use of the software.

Anyway, to deal with your question: how are you opening the image in TP? If I click open on an image in TP I get one window opening. Perhaps you are right clicking and using the compare option rather than open?

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
PF
Paul Furman
Dec 15, 2003
Oh, last time I looked (years ago) Thumbsplus was a pretty lame viewer.

http://www.cerious.com

You think the database is the best feature? Is it a proprietary database or can be integrated with other uses? I get the feeling from the web page, that it isn’t very geek friendly. Hmm I see they have the option to ad "embedded comments" but require saving jpegs to do that which is not good. Ah, I also see it’s an MS Access database that drives it. Hmm.Really hard to find just the right thing, actually.

Hecate wrote:
Thumbsplus is an image database. It’s for cataloging and archiving your images and as such it does an excellent job. Using it as an image viewer is not the best use of the software.
H
Hecate
Dec 16, 2003
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:07:14 -0800, Paul Furman
wrote:

Oh, last time I looked (years ago) Thumbsplus was a pretty lame viewer.

You think the database is the best feature? Is it a proprietary database or can be integrated with other uses? I get the feeling from the web page, that it isn’t very geek friendly. Hmm I see they have the option to ad "embedded comments" but require saving jpegs to do that which is not good. Ah, I also see it’s an MS Access database that drives it. Hmm.Really hard to find just the right thing, actually.
Yes, it’s Access which means you can SQL it. The viewer is fine, from within the database. It’s ann excellent program which does exactly what it’s supposed to do.

Hecate

veni, vidi, relinqui
PF
Paul Furman
Dec 16, 2003
Hecate wrote:

Yes, it’s Access which means you can SQL it. The viewer is fine, from within the database. It’s ann excellent program which does exactly what it’s supposed to do.

Yeah, actually that’d be real handy to be able to hook Access up to it! Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections