R
Posted By
rgou4576
Jul 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using PhotoShop 7.0 for some time and had no problems converting RAW files (NEF) from my Nikon D2H camera to TIFFs. Recently I got a trial version of Photoshop CS to see if I thought it worth upgrading to, and while CS opens and converts the NEF files to TIFFs, I find that the converted files from CS show artifacts rather like high-compression jpegs. This doesn’t happen in PS 7.

The effect is obvious on screen at 100%, and very ugly at 200%. It looks as if CS is applying some sharpening algorithm at an extreme level. Even if I don’t use unsharp masking at all, the artifacts show up (they’re not there in PS 7 even with unsharp masking applied twice).

Is there perhaps a buried default setting I haven’t noticed?

Any suggestions welcomed

Ross Gould

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

FE
For example John Smith
Jul 20, 2004
rgou4576 wrote:
I’ve been using PhotoShop 7.0 for some time and had no problems converting RAW files (NEF) from my Nikon D2H camera to TIFFs. Recently I got a trial version of Photoshop CS to see if I thought it worth upgrading to, and while CS opens and converts the NEF files to TIFFs, I find that the converted files from CS show artifacts rather like high-compression jpegs. This doesn’t happen in PS 7.

The effect is obvious on screen at 100%, and very ugly at 200%. It looks as if CS is applying some sharpening algorithm at an extreme level. Even if I don’t use unsharp masking at all, the artifacts show up (they’re not there in PS 7 even with unsharp masking applied twice).

Any suggestions welcomed

Ross Gould

I just had a look, I must say I have s2pro RAF files, not sure whether your raw import screen is the same.
If you click the small arrow right beside the Settings label and pulldown (it reads Camera Default here) and select preferences you get the option: Apply sharpness to All images/ Preview only. Is this what you are looking for perhaps ?

HTH
Pjotr
N
nomail
Jul 20, 2004
rgou4576 wrote:

Have you looked at the second tab (called ‘Detail’) in the CameraRAW dialog? That is where you can set sharpening. Perhaps this is set to some silly high value.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
R
rgou4576
Jul 21, 2004

rgou4576 wrote:

Have you looked at the second tab (called ‘Detail’) in the CameraRAW dialog? That is where you can set sharpening. Perhaps this is set to some silly high value.

Thanks to both responders.

Yes, there was sharpening set by default – although not super-high. I reduced this to zero. Processing with that setting still curiously leaves a hint of artifacts compared to PS 7, but is certainly a much better result.

Probably time I got Nikon Capture – when the Australian importer gets around to supplying it again (currently quoted as maybe available again in mid-August!).

Ross
A
AlexR
Jul 21, 2004
rgou4576 wrote:

Any suggestions welcomed

Ross Gould

I’ve seen the same effect on some photos from my Canon. Try increasing the "Luminance Smoothing" in the "Detail" tab.

AlexR.
JG
John Goodman
Jul 25, 2004
Go here to convert your Trial Photoshop CS to full Version for very little money.
http://www.directsoftwareconnection.com

"rgou4576" wrote in message

Any suggestions welcomed

Ross Gould
H
Hecate
Jul 26, 2004
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 03:08:44 GMT, "John Goodman" wrote:

Go here to convert your Trial Photoshop CS to full Version for very little money.
http://www.directsoftwareconnection.com
Go there and get your credit card number stolen…

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections