PE
Posted By
phoney.email
Jul 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PS 6, but due to its obscure nature, probably other versions too. Windows 98.

Recording an action to save a file as RAW does *not* save the Interleave and Byte Order information correctly.

Regardless of what these two options are set to when the action is recorded, the settings are ignored and Interleaved=On and Mac byte order are used.

Since the development was probably done on the Mac this slipped by. That’s what happens when the developers use an obscure OS… ;o)

That’s the second bug in RAW file handling!!

Any ideas for a workaround? Does anybody know internal Actions file layout so I can retrofit this manually?

Don.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Chris
Jul 8, 2004
In article ,
(Don) wrote:

Recording an action to save a file as RAW does *not* save the Interleave and Byte Order information correctly.

Regardless of what these two options are set to when the action is recorded, the settings are ignored and Interleaved=On and Mac byte order are used.

Since the development was probably done on the Mac this slipped by. That’s what happens when the developers use an obscure OS… ;o)

Any ideas for a workaround? Does anybody know internal Actions file layout so I can retrofit this manually?

Don.

Interleave I can understand, but is there some reaso byte order matters these days?

C
PE
phoney.email
Jul 8, 2004
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 00:56:01 GMT, Chris Havel
wrote:

In article ,
(Don) wrote:

Don.

Interleave I can understand, but is there some reaso byte order matters these days?

Yes, in 16-bit images.

It’s the big-endian / little-endian thing whereby the order of bytes is reversed between Mac and PC.

Don.
C
Chris
Jul 8, 2004
In article ,
(Don) wrote:

wrote:

In article ,
(Don) wrote:

Don.

Yes, in 16-bit images.

It’s the big-endian / little-endian thing whereby the order of bytes is reversed between Mac and PC.

Don.

I’m familiar with that tweakiness back when it mattered to the TIFF you were saving; nowadays, you can flop the byte order around in a TIFF and it will still open on the Mac or Peecee with no problem. That’s not true with 16-bit images? Interesting.

C
PE
phoney.email
Jul 9, 2004
On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:47:19 GMT, Chris Havel
wrote:

In article ,
(Don) wrote:

wrote:

In article ,
(Don) wrote:

Don.

Yes, in 16-bit images.

Don.

I’m familiar with that tweakiness back when it mattered to the TIFF you were saving; nowadays, you can flop the byte order around in a TIFF and it will still open on the Mac or Peecee with no problem. That’s not true with 16-bit images? Interesting.

Of course, in theory, it’s possible to save any which way and then specify the same when opening e.g. I can have the action open a Mac byte order file on the PC by explicitly specifying that the file has Mac byte order (and thereby skipping a separate conversion step). And the same goes for Interleave too.

However, that would be a major kludge and it’s not self-documenting leading to a possible confusion months later after I forget all about this particular Photoshop "eccentricity".

So, I just made all Save actions modal. That way I get a dialog each time. On the minus side that means I have to specify all this by hand and can’t have the action run unattended, but on the plus side I’m sure I don’t miss any files, and since they are quite big, I still get time to do other things between saves.

Don.
T
toby
Jul 9, 2004
Chris Havel …

The OP is using RAW format, so the software at the reading end is presumably assuming/enforcing a particular ordering (unlike, as you say, any intelligent TIFF reader).

–Toby

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections