Posted By
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

I stumbled upon something that finds me vaguely recalling a mention in the past of some sort of "1 pixel" problem in Photoshop. I know even that description is vague in and of itself, so I’ll just describe what I’ve encountered:

I created a 100×100 pixel new image with a white background, selected the right half exactly (50×100) and filled that area with solid black using the Fill Tool options set at 100% opacity and 0 tolerance. The result should have been an edge-to-edge fill of RGB = 0/0/0, yet I found the color sampling in the Info palette indicated RGB = 15/15/15 for the last 1 pixel column at the left and right edges of the black-filled area.

Moreover, if the selction marquee was still active around the filled region and I reapplied the Fill Tool, that 15/15/15 value was reduced to 1/1/1 and would only "zero out" once I applied the Fill Tool once more. However, if I first deselected the area and then filled the 15/15/15 region, it did "zero out" correctly.

This behavior was seen in both PS7 and PSCS. While I don’t consider it all too significant, it nonetheless begs the question, WHY?

Does this have to do with color value errors introduced by the active marquee around a selected area?

Thanks,

Daryl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LenHewitt
Apr 26, 2004
Daryl,

Is your marquee set to anti-alias?
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 26, 2004
Len,

That did the trick…thanks! I could have sworn I’d already explored whether or not aliasing affected the situation, but this was something I observed on the side while exploring another question.

Thanks again,

Daryl
L
LenHewitt
Apr 26, 2004
I think that may be Markus’ problem too…
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 26, 2004
Len,

Do you ever have those days where one minute something works as expected, then not, then it does again? Well, I may be having one of those days…I just went and re-filled the area with ant-aliasing enabled and still obtained the 1-pixel errant fill. I’m in PSCS at the moment and will recheck the behavior with PS7.

OK…here’s more info: Originally I observed this behavior while creating an action, using Select All and Transform Selection to establish 50% of my image as the area to fill. Performing the selection manually, I simply used the Marquee Tool and grabbed the desired rectangular region. When the fill is applied to the transformed selection, the error is introduced; when applied to the manually selected rectangle, it is not.

Any thoughts?

Daryl
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Apr 27, 2004
Daryl,

I just went and re-filled the area with ant-aliasing enabled

You want to turn anti-aliasing OFF.

Feather set to 0.

Mathias
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 27, 2004
Mathias,

Thanks…but it seems there must be multiple factors involved depending upon the selection and fill technique used. In the case where I selected the area manually using the marquee tool, the anti-alias option wasn’t available. Why, I’m not sure, but I didn’t really pursue trying to figure that out at the time. And, from that observation I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that Len actually mean anti-aliasing on the Fill Tool should be set. With that done, I did obtain a true fill edge-to-edge. I may explore this further but not tonight.

Thanks,

Daryl
L
LenHewitt
Apr 27, 2004
Hi Daryl,

What I SHOULD have said was FEATHER set to zero on the Marquee tool – but it was late at night on a machine without Photoshop installed<g>
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 27, 2004
Len,

I can definitely understand those late night thoughts…thanks for the clarification. I did have feather at 0.

Cheers,

Daryl
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 27, 2004
Never noticed before, but I can’t find any set of variables with the rectangular marquee where anti-alias is even an option. Is grayed out for retangular/single row/single column. Is an option for elliptical.

What am *I* missing here?

Mac
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 27, 2004
Mac,

I’d not given the question of anti-aliasing much thought yesterday, but it makes sense that any sort of rectangular selection would not be concerned with aliasing. Only non-linear selections would be affected. Similarly, it leaves me to wonder why selecting anti-aliasing for the Fill Tool allowed me to achieve a full edge-to-edge pure 0/0/0 black fill yesterday. Since the selection was rectangular, a fill should have been performed perfectly, aliasing or not.

Off to the lab…can’t get sidetracked! Ha!

Daryl
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 27, 2004
Oh, duh on me…

I see you were talking about the FILL TOOL anti-alias option. I was looking at rect. marquee option.

I don’t really understand the interaction between the two enough to offer anything else at this point …

Mac

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections