Posted By
Steve
Nov 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi again all

could someone pls let me know how to create varying dot screens as I wish to do two things:

1. create an image suitable for a newspaper

2. create an images suitable for photocopying, without clicking the "photo" setting on the machine, which makes the text look washed out.

TIA

Steve

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

W
Whokid
Nov 8, 2003
In article <dPVqb.893$>,
"Steve" wrote:

hi again all

could someone pls let me know how to create varying dot screens as I wish to do two things:

What do you mean, exactly? Is the image going to be IN a newspaper?

2. create an images suitable for photocopying, without clicking the "photo" setting on the machine, which makes the text look washed out.
TIA

Steve

Er… could you explain a bit more please? :o)

You don’t create any screens in Photoshop unless you actually want it as a visual "effect". The actual screen setting is left to the image-setter.

Jim

——————————————————-

pester me, why not? whokid at flywheelnetwork . co . uk
S
Steve
Nov 8, 2003
What I mean is: I designed a quick flyer for my local radio station, that they intend to photocopy and as we all know, images look crap due to the machines inability to do decent shading – so what I did was introduce a dot screen in Photoshop…… this caused me to wonder if I could create different screens for different applications such as newspapers and magazines.

As luck would have it, they decided to do the copying using that "photograph" setting – this was acceptable to them but not me….. (these were handed out this morning) the text looked ‘soft’ due to what the copiers do to everything on the photo setting.

Was just hoping to get some idea how to make it better for them, me and anyone else who reads the thread

Thanks

Steve

"Whokid" wrote in message
In article <dPVqb.893$>,
"Steve" wrote:

hi again all

could someone pls let me know how to create varying dot screens as I
wish to
do two things:

2. create an images suitable for photocopying, without clicking the
"photo"
setting on the machine, which makes the text look washed out.
TIA

Steve

You don’t create any screens in Photoshop unless you actually want it as a visual "effect". The actual screen setting is left to the image-setter.
Jim

——————————————————-

M
Mr3
Nov 8, 2003
Maybe you can cheat it.

Try Filter/Artistic/Film Grain

either singly or with

Filter/Texture/Grain

and maybe throw in an Filter/Sharpen/Unsharp Mask.

Looks appropriate on the screen, just don’t know how it will look copied.

HTH

Mr3

"Steve" wrote in message
What I mean is: I designed a quick flyer for my local radio station, that they intend to photocopy and as we all know, images look crap due to the machines inability to do decent shading – so what I did was introduce a
dot
screen in Photoshop…… this caused me to wonder if I could create different screens for different applications such as newspapers and magazines.

As luck would have it, they decided to do the copying using that "photograph" setting – this was acceptable to them but not me….. (these were handed out this morning) the text looked ‘soft’ due to what the
copiers
do to everything on the photo setting.

Was just hoping to get some idea how to make it better for them, me and anyone else who reads the thread

Thanks

Steve

In article <dPVqb.893$>,
"Steve" wrote:

hi again all

could someone pls let me know how to create varying dot screens as I
wish to
do two things:

2. create an images suitable for photocopying, without clicking the
"photo"
setting on the machine, which makes the text look washed out.
TIA

Steve

You don’t create any screens in Photoshop unless you actually want it as a visual "effect". The actual screen setting is left to the
image-setter.
Jim

——————————————————-

JC
J C
Nov 8, 2003
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 12:56:37 +1100, "Steve"
wrote:

What I mean is: I designed a quick flyer for my local radio station, that they intend to photocopy and as we all know, images look crap due to the machines inability to do decent shading – so what I did was introduce a dot screen in Photoshop…… this caused me to wonder if I could create different screens for different applications such as newspapers and magazines.

Well, then if they are going to photocopy it from an original laser printout, then you should look into how to set the screen value through your printer driver so that you get a decent laser print to slap down on the photocopy machine. Hint: for a photocopy machine a 65 or 85 line screen is what you’re after.

But then above process assumes that you did not design the entire flyer in PS and instead used a layout app that you then placed the photos into. And further that you have a decent *laser* printer and are using the correct driver and PPD for your page layout application.

If the above is true, then another hint is that you should use decent paper in your laser printer. Take a look at the Hammermill paper. It costs about twice as much per ream, but it gets you a better print.

— JC
W
Whokid
Nov 9, 2003
In article <34Yqb.902$>,
"Steve" wrote:

As luck would have it, they decided to do the copying using that "photograph" setting – this was acceptable to them but not me….. (these were handed out this morning) the text looked ‘soft’ due to what the copiers do to everything on the photo setting.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Gotcha. Unfortunately this is more of a photocopier problem than anything else, and to the best of my knowledge there’s not much you can do to an image in PS that will improve it’s copying quality.

If you provide them with the best original you can manage, that’s all you can do. It’s up to them if they copy it well or badly I’m afraid.

However, I will say this much; there are plenty of quality photocopiers around which are pretty good at doing mixed (text & picture) originals. Whether there are any copy-shops nearby with them is another matter…

HTH :o)

Jim

——————————————————-

S
Steve
Nov 10, 2003
hi and thanks

I went to the school and took oh gee…let’s see…… hmmm …. shorter than it took to say that, to use and show them the COMBINED text and graphics button

one

button

oboy

🙂

Thanks

In article <34Yqb.902$>,
"Steve" wrote:

What I mean is: I designed a quick flyer for my local radio station,
that
they intend to photocopy and as we all know, images look crap due to the machines inability to do decent shading – so what I did was introduce a
dot
screen in Photoshop…… this caused me to wonder if I could create different screens for different applications such as newspapers and magazines.

As luck would have it, they decided to do the copying using that "photograph" setting – this was acceptable to them but not me…..
(these
were handed out this morning) the text looked ‘soft’ due to what the
copiers
do to everything on the photo setting.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Gotcha. Unfortunately this is more of a photocopier problem than anything else, and to the best of my knowledge there’s not much you can do to an image in PS that will improve it’s copying quality.
If you provide them with the best original you can manage, that’s all you can do. It’s up to them if they copy it well or badly I’m afraid.
However, I will say this much; there are plenty of quality photocopiers around which are pretty good at doing mixed (text & picture) originals. Whether there are any copy-shops nearby with them is another matter…
HTH :o)

Jim

——————————————————-

JC
J C
Nov 10, 2003
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 15:21:43 +0000, Whokid
wrote:

Unfortunately this is more of a photocopier problem than anything else, and to the best of my knowledge there’s not much you can do to an image in PS that will improve it’s copying quality.

That just seems wrong.

If you make the photo into a halftone the copy machine will have an easier time reproducing it.

The only issues are: What screen value, and how do you apply the halftone screen (in PS or in a layout app).

— JC
W
WharfRat
Nov 10, 2003
in article SP2vP1P4rEQw795JEwAzH=
wrote on 11/10/03 1:02 PM:

wrote:

Unfortunately this is more of a photocopier problem than anything else, and to the best of my knowledge there’s not much you can do to an image in PS that will improve it’s copying quality.

That just seems wrong.

If you make the photo into a halftone the copy machine will have an easier time reproducing it.

The only issues are: What screen value, and how do you apply the halftone screen (in PS or in a layout app).

— JC

80 line should be good
You can apply the screen in the print dialog box
save as .eps

MSD
W
WharfRat
Nov 10, 2003
in article SP2vP1P4rEQw795JEwAzH=
wrote on 11/10/03 1:02 PM:

wrote:

That just seems wrong.

— JC

80 line should be good
You can apply the screen in the print dialog box
save as .eps

MSD
W
Whokid
Nov 11, 2003
In article <BNLrb.1041$>,
"Steve" wrote:

hi and thanks

I went to the school and took oh gee…let’s see…… hmmm …. shorter than it took to say that, to use and show them the COMBINED text and graphics button

one

button

oboy

🙂

Thanks

Ha ha! No problem.

Clients, eh? :o)

Jim

——————————————————-

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections