Posted By
daleholden
Apr 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

Does anybody know of any good tutorials for repairing or improving old newspaper photos. I have been asked by an elderly gent to touch up an old picture from a newspaper.

I need advice on best way to scan and retouch / repair in Photoshop CS would be grateful for any advice or a point to a godd tutorial. The pic is faded slightly and when i scan it looks grainy.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
drjohnruss
Apr 15, 2004
(Dale Holden) asked

Does anybody know of any good tutorials for repairing or improving old newspaper photos. I have been asked by an elderly gent to touch up an old picture from a newspaper.

I need advice on best way to scan and retouch / repair in Photoshop CS would be grateful for any advice or a point to a godd tutorial. The pic is faded slightly and when i scan it looks grainy.

Take a look at the example at
www.reindeergraphics.com/tutorial/chap4/fourier13.html

it shows how to process a scanned newspaper image to get rid of the halktone pattern and restore the original image quality using Photoshop with some plugins.
-xiray-
Apr 15, 2004
On 14 Apr 2004 22:29:05 -0700, (Dale
Holden) wrote:

Hi

Everything you need for one quick job is contained in the off the shelf installation of PS.

Scan the image at 1.5 times the resolution you need/want for the final print. (Some suggest scanning in RGB rather than greyscale, but greyscale will work too). (Do the math if you’re going to be blowing up the image from its original size.)

Save the original and work on a copy as follows:

Use the Gaussian Blur filter with about 1.5 pixel radius

Then downsample the image to the intended final resolution.

Then run the unsharp mask filter, play with the settings a bit, usually about 40% to 50% and a 1.9 pixel radius works well.

Then if you need to adjust the contrast, don’t use the contrast control, use the Adjust > Curves dialog box. If you’re unfamiliar with Curves, try dragging the middle of the line up or down and watch the effect.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections