Fading the Filter Effect After the Image Is Saved?

Posted By
Mar 26, 2013
Views
588
Replies
3
Status
Closed
I would like to save an image several times
by fading the effect of a filter in Photoshop CS5.
I want to do it at various stages of the fading process. Unfortunately, after I save an image it is impossible to faded it any further. Why is that?
Thanks!

sherman

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
Savageduck
Mar 26, 2013
On 2013-03-26 08:38:21 -0700, sherman said:

I would like to save an image several times
by fading the effect of a filter in Photoshop CS5.
I want to do it at various stages of the fading process. Unfortunately, after I save an image it is impossible to faded it any further. Why is that?

Simple, you have saved the image in the adjusted state. You should be able to adjust the reopened adjusted image, but there is another way of dealing with this type of thing.

For this problem the answer lies in the proper use of layers and the history panel.
Duplicate the background layer. Apply the filter.
Open the "history" panel and at the bottom left of that panel select "Create new document from current state". This will duplicate the freshly filtered & adjusted image in a new tab.
Merge the new document and "save as". This will give you a saved version of the original.
Your original with the adjustment layer remains intact. At this stage you can save that original as a PSD, or TIFF with the layers intact. Now you can make changes to the opacity of the adjustment layer and save each with a version number to give you the fade sequence you want. Just note that 100% opacity should give you your maximum fade. As you reduce the opacity you will get to your point of origin and you can save each stage.
< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_180w.j pg >


Regards,

Savageduck
S
Savageduck
Mar 27, 2013
On 2013-03-26 13:01:09 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:

On 2013-03-26 08:38:21 -0700, sherman said:

I would like to save an image several times
by fading the effect of a filter in Photoshop CS5.
I want to do it at various stages of the fading process. Unfortunately, after I save an image it is impossible to faded it any further. Why is that?

Simple, you have saved the image in the adjusted state. You should be able to adjust the reopened adjusted image, but there is another way of dealing with this type of thing.

For this problem the answer lies in the proper use of layers and the history panel.
Duplicate the background layer. Apply the filter.
Open the "history" panel and at the bottom left of that panel select "Create new document from current state". This will duplicate the freshly filtered & adjusted image in a new tab.
Merge the new document and "save as". This will give you a saved version of the original.

That was meant to read; "This will give you a saved version of the adjusted image."

Your original with the adjustment layer remains intact. At this stage you can save that original as a PSD, or TIFF with the layers intact. Now you can make changes to the opacity of the adjustment layer and save each with a version number to give you the fade sequence you want. Just note that 100% opacity should give you your maximum fade. As you reduce the opacity you will get to your point of origin and you can save each stage.
< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_180w.j pg >

Note: you can always save a working version with all layers intact so you can return to your work in progress.


Regards,

Savageduck
Mar 28, 2013
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:00:55 -0700, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

On 2013-03-26 13:01:09 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> said:
On 2013-03-26 08:38:21 -0700, sherman said:

I would like to save an image several times
by fading the effect of a filter in Photoshop CS5.
I want to do it at various stages of the fading process. Unfortunately, after I save an image it is impossible to faded it any further. Why is that?

Simple, you have saved the image in the adjusted state. You should be able to adjust the reopened adjusted image, but there is another way of dealing with this type of thing.

For this problem the answer lies in the proper use of layers and the history panel.
Duplicate the background layer. Apply the filter.
Open the "history" panel and at the bottom left of that panel select "Create new document from current state". This will duplicate the freshly filtered & adjusted image in a new tab.
Merge the new document and "save as". This will give you a saved version of the original.

That was meant to read; "This will give you a saved version of the adjusted image."

Your original with the adjustment layer remains intact. At this stage you can save that original as a PSD, or TIFF with the layers intact. Now you can make changes to the opacity of the adjustment layer and save each with a version number to give you the fade sequence you want. Just note that 100% opacity should give you your maximum fade. As you reduce the opacity you will get to your point of origin and you can save each stage.
< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_180w.j pg >

Note: you can always save a working version with all layers intact so you can return to your work in progress.

Thank you very much! I appreciate it.

sherman

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections