CU
Posted By
Christopher_Ueda
Oct 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed Elements 2.0 on my G4 laptop but none of the filters or effects appear in the palettes. The various categories are there but there are no thumbnails. They’re also in the plugins folder but don’t seem to be loading? I’ve tried resetting the preferences but that hasn’t seemed to work either. I don’t have classic installed. Do I need it? Also I’m running Jaguar. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 27, 2003
Did you run Repair Permissions after the installation? If not, try that and see if it helps. If you did, let us know, and we’ll try to come up with another bright idea. By the way, you don’t need Classic to run PSE 2.
CU
Christopher_Ueda
Oct 29, 2003
Beth,

Just ran Repair Permissions. Didn’t seem to work either. The palettes still don’t show up. Thanks.

Chris
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 29, 2003
Try reinstalling PE over your existing installation. That clears up a lot of problems, sometimes.
CU
Christopher_Ueda
Oct 30, 2003
Barbara,

Actually tried that a couple of times. Even tried installing just filters and effects. Still doesn’t work. Any other ideas? I guess I could do it again.

Chris
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 30, 2003
Okay, let’s see. You’ve repaired permissions, run fsck–do you leave your computer on all the time? If not do you use macjanitor or macaroni? How much free space do you have on your drive?
CU
Christopher_Ueda
Oct 30, 2003
Barbara,

What’s fsck? Also I don’t leave my computer on all the time. I don’t use macjanitor or macaroni and I have about 17 gb free on my drive.

Chris
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 31, 2003
Ah, okay I would start with fsck. Restart your computer while holding down Command+S. It will restart to a screen of scary looking white on black type. Wait till it’s through loading and then type "fsck -y" without the quotes. Note the space between the k and the dash.

Your computer will run through a check of the hard drive and either tell you that the drive "appears to be okay" or that "files were modified." If files were modified, repeat the whole process until you get the okay message. To get back to regular macland when you’re done, type "reboot" without the quotes.

You need to go to versiontracker and download mac janitor. OS X, like all UNIX, does certain housekeeping tasks in the wee hours of the am, and if your computer is asleep or shut down, they can’t run. Mac Janitor lets you run them whenever you want to so you don’t have to leave your computer on and awake all the time. It’s very easy to use.

EDIT It’s also free.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Oct 31, 2003
Chris, Barbara forgot to mention to hit the ‘return’ key after you enter the command fsck -y or any command.

Yeah, it was scary to me the first time I looked at it. I’ve had weird stuff happen that has been corrected by this command.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 31, 2003
Thanks, Mark.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 31, 2003
Christopher the other thing I forgot to mention is that if you have any kind of antivirus software or anything from Norton, it needs to be turned off when you install PE.
CU
Christopher_Ueda
Oct 31, 2003
Guys,

Tried the fsck -y and everything appears to be okay. Elements still doesn’t work. If there aren’t any other suggestions I’m going to try reinstalling PE. I don’t have any virus software installed either but is there any special process I should use?

Chris
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 31, 2003
No, just drag the old one to the trash and also trash com.adobe.photoshop.elements.plist and the Adobe preferences, which are all in your home>library>preferences.

Did you run macjanitor, too?
CU
Christopher_Ueda
Nov 1, 2003
I ran macjanitor but I think something’s wrong with the disk itself. I tried reinstalling and I got an error which said that I’d have to contact technical support so that looks like the problem. Thanks for you help though.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections