Effect filters "fade" option. Where is it?

CS
Posted By
Claude_Saccaro
Aug 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What happened in CS to the option that used to be available when applying a filter (Photoshop 5) that allowed you to "fade" it to adjust the degree of intensity of an applied filter? Like apply "sharpen" then "fade sharpen" to the desired percentage? How is this done now in CS? Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Aug 27, 2004
Command + Shift + F right after applying the filter brings up the "Fade" dialogue.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 27, 2004
The command is in the Edit menu too, but it is only available if you do it IMMEDIATELY after applying the filter.
Aug 27, 2004
Thanks for the menu location Ann.

I haven’t moused up to "Fade" in about 7 years.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 27, 2004
Nor me!

I remembered that the menu location changed at one time (I think that it was originally in the File menu?) so just went looking for it for Claude.
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Aug 27, 2004
I never liked Fade. It’s something I’ve probably used a few times, before I realized that you can accomplish the same thing with layers, but with layers, you can go back and edit to your heart’s content, or delete/undo all together.

Carl.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 28, 2004
I think that Fade should be as well in the filter dialog box: You should be able to change and preview the blending mode and opacity before you accept it. OR if a filter is applied on a layer, we should have access to the blending mode and opacity in the layers palette, WHILE the filter dialog box is open.

I’s been feature requested before, you might try to post it again…
CS
Claude_Saccaro
Aug 28, 2004
Thanks all.

I use fades quite a bit as it’s a quick and simple way to adjust a filter’s intensity. The option used to be in the filter menu (right after you apply a filter). Why they moved this to the edit menu is well, I don’t know… Just ’cause it may make more sense for the menu hierarchy doesn’t… Let me not get started 🙂
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 28, 2004
Fade has been under Edit at least since 6. The fact that it can Fade Adjustments as well as filters justifies it being moved in my opinion.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 28, 2004
Yes, it is justified in there. My point is that it should stay there, but all the filters dialog box should have the blending mode and opactiy choices! this would be way more useful, then to accept a filter, play with the blending modes/opactiy, see that the filter settings should change, go back in history, re-launch filter CTRL+ALT+F adjust settings, etc. when it could be done in one shot!
Even third party plug-ins allowed it! Adobe should maintain its superiority even in the bundled filters.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections