C
Posted By
Carrie
Jun 12, 2011
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just realized I can ask and maybe get an answer to this here! I have looked for answers online but haven’t found any. Maybe I’m not asking the question correctly, or it’s so simple no one has put up answers about it? I know in preferences I can set up a secondary plugin folder. Somewhere else, that won’t have to open and load when PS does. But I can find it (access it) if I want something in it or to try out new plugins. So, I do that, set it up and put in the link to where it is (like on my external hard drive or something)
I open Photoshop. How do I access that 2nd plug in folder? It doesn’t show in the drop down menu under FILTERS. I thought it might show in ACTIONS or file or such. I have set up a 2nd plugin folder and checked the box for this and put in the link in preferences, but can’t find out how to access it. It seems like it would be so simple. I have added plugs in to the main folder (like Virtual Painter, etc) and they open fromt the drop down menu. I can’t find where the 2nd plugin folder is (with PS open)
I am using PS CS3 extended.
Thanks!
(PS, I know I’m not the only "grandmother" who came to computer later in life, but I’m not like a 20 year old going to college and taking Graphic Design. I’m an old dog learning new tricks) LOL

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer đŸ”ĨđŸ”ĨđŸ”Ĩ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
leej
Jun 13, 2011
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 19:35:00 -0400, Carrie wrote:

I just realized I can ask and maybe get an answer to this here! I have looked for answers online but haven’t found any. Maybe I’m not asking the question correctly, or it’s so simple no one has put up answers about it?
I know in preferences I can set up a secondary plugin folder. Somewhere
else, that won’t have to open and load when PS does. But I can find it (access it) if I want something in it or to try out new plugins. So, I do that, set it up and put in the link to where it is (like on my
external hard drive or something)
I open Photoshop. How do I access that 2nd plug in folder? It doesn’t show in the drop down menu under FILTERS. I thought it might
show in ACTIONS or file or such. I have set up a 2nd plugin folder and checked the box for this and put in the link in preferences, but can’t find out how to access it. It seems like it would be so simple. I have added plugs in to the main folder (like Virtual Painter, etc) and they open fromt the drop down menu. I can’t find where the 2nd plugin folder is (with PS open)
Thanks!
(PS, I know I’m not the only "grandmother" who came to computer later in life, but I’m not like a 20 year old going to college and taking Graphic Design. I’m an old dog learning new tricks) LOL

If you ticked the "Additional Plug-Ins Folder" checkbox and selected a folder, the plugins should be initialized the next time you close and re- open Photoshop. Is that not happening?

Lee J. Moore
Cheshire, UK

"He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know." – Lao Tzu
C
Carrie
Jun 13, 2011
If you ticked the "Additional Plug-Ins Folder" checkbox and selected a folder, the plugins should be initialized the next time you close and re- open Photoshop. Is that not happening?

It’s in the drop down Fileter menu? I haven’t tried it lately but I did and then took the link out because I didn’t see anything. I could always try it with an empty folder just to see. I was trying to put plugins I don’t always use (which is most of them) in it. I wasn’t sure where to look for them, I didn’t see anything in the drop down under filters. I have some that say "other", and Virtual Painter that shows up (and Akvis Sketch I had the trial of) but they are in the main plugin folder.
I’ll try it again

Lee J. Moore
Cheshire, UK

I’ve heard this before and it is probably one of the truest things ever said…
C
Carrie
Jun 13, 2011
"Lee J. Moore" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 19:35:00 -0400, Carrie wrote:

I just realized I can ask and maybe get an answer to this here! I have looked for answers online but haven’t found any. Maybe I’m not asking the question correctly, or it’s so simple no one has put up answers about it?
I know in preferences I can set up a secondary plugin folder. Somewhere
else, that won’t have to open and load when PS does. But I can find it (access it) if I want something in it or to try out new plugins. So, I do that, set it up and put in the link to where it is (like on my
external hard drive or something)
I open Photoshop. How do I access that 2nd plug in folder? It doesn’t show in the drop down menu under FILTERS. I thought it might
show in ACTIONS or file or such. I have set up a 2nd plugin folder and checked the box for this and put in the link in preferences, but can’t find out how to access it. It seems like it would be so simple. I have added plugs in to the main folder (like Virtual Painter, etc) and they open fromt the drop down menu. I can’t find where the 2nd plugin folder is (with PS open)
Thanks!

Okay, I played around with it and got it to work. I had the wrong idea about it. I thought it would shope up as a separate folder in the filters, that I could click on to open if I wanted it at some point but otherwise it wouldn’t load (and take a long time) Though I suppose I can uncheck it unless I wan to try filters. I’m always saying I am going over them and taking out ones I know I’ll never use, but then I don’t always know what name they are (in the files). I also put a dash in "Plug-ins" just now. I didn’t h ave that but noticed my main Plug-In folder did. I don’t know if that matters.
I had a folder of "plug-ins to try" with folders of them (like Andrew’s filers, etc) Now I have the 2nd plug-in older set up and checked, ALL the plug ins open in Filters. It also took a very long time for PS to open and I heard my external F drive (where the 2nd folder is) working. I think there is something I can download free that will organize and save plug-ins I don’t use much (if ever) that will only load if and when I want it?
Overall, I don’t use the plug-in (effects) too much. Sometimes I have a picture I really like (like now I have some of the beautiful wildflowers that are out now it’s Spring) and go some of the plug-in filers to see what I can change it in to.
At least I found out that the extra Plug-In folder works, but it still loads them all whe PS opens. So I might as well have them in the regular Plug-In folder?
(sometimes I’m surprised I can talk "computer stuff" it’s like another language (LOL)
L
leej
Jun 13, 2011
Carrie – the Additional Plugins Folder is just there for your convenience really in case you have plugins at a separate location. Some Photoshop users also use editing suites which are compatible with Photoshop plugins for example (like Paint Shop Pro), and may want some or all of their plugins stored at the ‘Additional’ location to avoid duplication. The plugins still appear at the same location on the Filter menu, regardless of their location on the filesystem.

Also, external hard drives are a *lot* slower than internal hard drives, so it’s not a great idea to have your additional plugins folder located upon one. As you have discovered, Photoshop initializes all plugins upon being launched, so configuring it this way will really slow it down. —
Lee J. Moore
Cheshire, UK

C
Carrie
Jun 13, 2011
Carrie – the Additional Plugins Folder is just there for your convenience really in case you have plugins at a separate location. Some Photoshop users also use editing suites which are compatible with Photoshop plugins for example (like Paint Shop Pro), and may want some or all of their plugins stored at the ‘Additional’ location to avoid duplication. The plugins still appear at the same location on the Filter menu, regardless of their location on the filesystem.

Also, external hard drives are a *lot* slower than internal hard drives, so it’s not a great idea to have your additional plugins folder located upon one. As you have discovered, Photoshop initializes all plugins upon being launched, so configuring it this way will really slow it down. —
Lee J. Moore
Cheshire, UK

Thanks, this is good to know. All it takes is one person who knows the answer to clear it up.
For some reason I thought it would be a separate folder that I could open IF I wanted it.
I do have Paint Shop Pro, too (I only use for a few things like Screen Capture and like the illumination effects) so that’s a good idea about all the plugs-ins in one place.
I hardly ever use plug-ins, except sometimes to see what I can come up with different. I have discovered (might not be the best way) that duplicating the layer, using the effect on that, and then fading it some is how it works. I mean, otherwise, the effect usually covers the picture. The only questions I still have as of now, and maybe should be a separate topic, is opening jpegs in raw camera (I just did a video tutorial on raw camera basics) from PS. I know I can open Bridge and get to it from there (and into PS and back) but if I first open a picture in PS then decide I want to see it in raw. Seems like I have to go to Bridge and open it there, too. But, it’s another day…
L
leej
Jun 13, 2011
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:59:00 -0400, Carrie wrote:

The only questions I still have as of now, and maybe should be a separate
topic, is opening jpegs in raw camera (I just did a video tutorial on raw camera basics) from PS. I know I can open Bridge and get to it from there (and into PS and back) but if I first open a picture in PS then decide I want to see it in raw. Seems like I have to go to Bridge and open it there, too. But, it’s another day…

Try clicking File > Open As (instead of File > Open) then select the image file you want to open, but make sure you’ve selected ‘Camera Raw’ from the drop down menu below before clicking the Open button.

I think most of us (particularly those of us who use the Windows version of Photoshop) have a love/hate relationship with Adobe Bridge. 😀 —
Lee J. Moore
Cheshire, UK

C
Carrie
Jun 13, 2011

topic, is opening jpegs in raw camera (I just did a video tutorial on raw camera basics) from PS. I know I can open Bridge and get to it from there (and into PS and back) but if I first open a picture in PS then decide I want to see it in raw. Seems like I have to go to Bridge and open it there, too. But, it’s another day…

Try clicking File > Open As (instead of File > Open) then select the image file you want to open, but make sure you’ve selected ‘Camera Raw’ from the drop down menu below before clicking the Open button.

I think most of us (particularly those of us who use the Windows version of Photoshop) have a love/hate relationship with Adobe Bridge. 😀

I’ve been reading about Lightroom which seems simliar. What I find myself using Bridge for now is I open up my files (which I first save on DVD backup) go over them, small size, and delete all the ones that aren’t something I might want to do something with. Like weed out. I take a lot of pictures, sometimes of the same thing. (like yesterday I was out in the rain taking rapid pictures of raindrops falling in a puddle to see if I get a good spalsh/drops)
I’ve been looking around and don’t see any way of opening a jpeg in raw, once it is open in PS. Like "send to" I can find "open as" but nothing that saws raw camera. Since I’m just getting into raw camera and can now open jpegs in it, I’ve been experimenting. In a way though, it doesn’t seem much different than using the adjustment tools in PS.

Lee J. Moore
Cheshire, UK

L
leej
Jun 13, 2011
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:08:46 -0400, Carrie wrote:
[..]
I’ve been reading about Lightroom which seems simliar. What I find myself using Bridge for now is I open up my files (which I first save on DVD backup) go over them, small size, and delete all the ones that aren’t something I might want to do something with. Like weed out. I take a lot of pictures, sometimes of the same thing. (like yesterday I was out in the rain taking rapid pictures of raindrops falling in a puddle to see if I get a good spalsh/drops)
I’ve been looking around and don’t see any way of opening a jpeg in raw,
once it is open in PS. Like "send to" I can find "open as" but nothing that saws raw camera. Since I’m just getting into raw camera and can now open jpegs in it, I’ve been experimenting. In a way though, it doesn’t seem much different than using the adjustment tools in PS.

Really? This is a screenshot of the dialog box I see if I click File > Open As.

http://i.imgur.com/8M66G.jpg

As long as I select ‘Camera Raw’ from the drop down box that the big red arrow is pointing to, I can open a JPEG as RAW from within Photoshop.

As for the point of opening JPEGs in the RAW editor: Any changes you make are non-destructive. Ie. They are done without changing the original image (so it remains a true digital negative). You can even crop and straighten JPEGS within the RAW editor and change it back later.

On the subject of Lightroom: It is an excellent workflow and image management tool, but is not a substitute for Bridge. It manages transfer of images to disk, organization into groups, grading, global cropping/ tonal adjustment, spotting, metadata editing, slide shows, printing and simple web gallery output, whereas Photoshop is the higher-level editing/ finishing tool for more specialized needs.

Lightroom also has quite a learning curve, so it’s not something you’ll pick up easily even if you’re already accustomed to Photoshop. For me, Lynda.com was a great help in that regard, but it’s not free. 😉 —
Lee J. Moore
Cheshire, UK

S
Savageduck
Jun 13, 2011
On 2011-06-13 06:08:46 -0700, "Carrie" said:

I think most of us (particularly those of us who use the Windows version of Photoshop) have a love/hate relationship with Adobe Bridge. 😀

I’ve been looking around and don’t see any way of opening a jpeg in raw, once it is open in PS. Like "send to" I can find "open as" but nothing that saws raw camera. Since I’m just getting into raw camera and can now open jpegs in it, I’ve been experimenting. In a way though, it doesn’t seem much different than using the adjustment tools in PS.

First, I am a Mac user running CS5. I had also been using LR2, together with CS3 before upgrading to CS5.
Now I find the improvement to Bridge (CS5) and ACR such that I hardly use LR and I have rejected the idea of upgrading to LR3.

For weeding out shots in a series in Bridge I use the rating system to flag the images as I check through them, either leaving a shot unrated, star rated (1-5), or flagged with "select", "Approved", "Review", To Do", or "Rejected".
Then without actually trashing any of the image files (memory is cheap) I can filter on any of the rating/flagging criteria to only display those images I need to show for any particular job.
For example, from a shoot of 3-400 shots, my search criteria might be 2 star or higher, or perhaps 3 star or higher. I then find myself presented with a reduced number of shots, perhaps 20 instead of 400 to work on.
It is then a simple matter to change the search criteria to return to the previously "rejected" group to see if anything can be salvaged. You can’t do that if you dump them at the start. The same goes for shots which had been unrated, or of a lower rating.

As far as opening a JPEG in ACR, it is simple from Bridge, just right click on the thumbnail in Bridge an you will have a drop down menu giving you the option to "Open", "Open with" (any other editor), or "Open in Camera RAW).
You will be missing some of the adjustment flexibility you would have had with a RAW file, (WB, and Camera profile for example) but there is nothing stopping you from making other adjustments from straightening, to crops, to spot removal, adding gradients, etc. all non-destructively in ACR. You can also apply the same adjustments to several shots which might need the same correction. (That can also be done for RAW files.)

If you then click on the "Done" button all those ACR edits and adjustment will be saved to an XMP "sidecar" file and it will appear with those changes in Bridge. These are non-destructive changes as you have not altered the original JPEG, you have just added an instruction set. Now when you open that JPEG/RAW file in CS you will have saved several process steps in Photoshop. Then use "Save as" to rename your finished product leaving the original intact.

Regards,

Savageduck
C
Carrie
Jun 13, 2011
[..]
once it is open in PS. Like "send to" I can find "open as" but nothing that saws raw camera. Since I’m just getting into raw camera and can now open jpegs in it, I’ve been experimenting. In a way though, it doesn’t seem much different than using the adjustment tools in PS.

As long as I select ‘Camera Raw’ from the drop down box that the big red arrow is pointing to, I can open a JPEG as RAW from within Photoshop.
As for the point of opening JPEGs in the RAW editor: Any changes you make are non-destructive. Ie. They are done without changing the original image (so it remains a true digital negative). You can even crop and straighten JPEGS within the RAW editor and change it back later.
On the subject of Lightroom: It is an excellent workflow and image management tool, but is not a substitute for Bridge. It manages transfer of images to disk, organization into groups, grading, global cropping/ tonal adjustment, spotting, metadata editing, slide shows, printing and simple web gallery output, whereas Photoshop is the higher-level editing/ finishing tool for more specialized needs.

Lightroom also has quite a learning curve, so it’s not something you’ll pick up easily even if you’re already accustomed to Photoshop. For me, Lynda.com was a great help in that regard, but it’s not free. 😉 —
Lee J. Moore
Cheshire, UK

Oh, you are so right! Not that I doubted you. I was right clicking on the file (in the open box) and looking for "open with.." Of course, it was right in front of me. Over last weekend I did a tutorial (videos from Lynda.com) about camera raw (in the basics tutorial set) there are 12 or so videos of it. I did them all one after the other and took down notes, and after felt like I had learned a lot, but… maybe had overdosed on it, like too much too fast. I tend to get so into it I want to see what’s next. I just tried it, and see I have to click open as and get the folder and pick a file then open as raw camera. I was trying to do it with the jpg open FIRST. Like I open a picture to do somethineg with it, decide I want to use raw camera and try things, and get the actual openned picture to open in raw (or move to bridge and open in raw) I know it’s a small thing, but that’s what was confusing me. Once the jpg is actually open in PS it can’t be sent to Bridge or raw from that. Only from Open with and the folder/files again. I know, I am making it more complicated…
C
Carrie
Jun 13, 2011
"Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
On 2011-06-13 06:08:46 -0700, "Carrie" said:

Try clicking File > Open As (instead of File > Open) then select the image
file you want to open, but make sure you’ve selected ‘Camera Raw’ from the
drop down menu below before clicking the Open button.

I’ve been reading about Lightroom which seems simliar. What I find myself using Bridge for now is I open up my files (which I first save on DVD
backup) go over them, small size, and delete all the ones that aren’t something I might want to do something with. Like weed out. I take a lot of
pictures, sometimes of the same thing. (like yesterday I was out in the rain
taking rapid pictures of raindrops falling in a puddle to see if I get a good spalsh/drops)
once it is open in PS. Like "send to" I can find "open as" but nothing that
saws raw camera. Since I’m just getting into raw camera and can now open jpegs in it, I’ve been experimenting. In a way though, it doesn’t seem much
different than using the adjustment tools in PS.

First, I am a Mac user running CS5. I had also been using LR2, together with CS3 before upgrading to CS5.
Now I find the improvement to Bridge (CS5) and ACR such that I hardly use LR and I have rejected the idea of upgrading to LR3.

For weeding out shots in a series in Bridge I use the rating system to flag the images as I check through them, either leaving a shot unrated, star rated (1-5), or flagged with "select", "Approved", "Review", To Do",
or "Rejected".
Then without actually trashing any of the image files (memory is cheap) I can filter on any of the rating/flagging criteria to only display those images I need to show for any particular job.
For example, from a shoot of 3-400 shots, my search criteria might be 2 star or higher, or perhaps 3 star or higher. I then find myself presented with a reduced number of shots, perhaps 20 instead of 400 to work on. It is then a simple matter to change the search criteria to return to the previously "rejected" group to see if anything can be salvaged. You can’t do that if you dump them at the start. The same goes for shots which had been unrated, or of a lower rating.

As far as opening a JPEG in ACR, it is simple from Bridge, just right click on the thumbnail in Bridge an you will have a drop down menu giving you the option to "Open", "Open with" (any other editor), or "Open in Camera RAW).
You will be missing some of the adjustment flexibility you would have had with a RAW file, (WB, and Camera profile for example) but there is nothing stopping you from making other adjustments from straightening, to crops, to spot removal, adding gradients, etc. all non-destructively in ACR. You can also apply the same adjustments to several shots which might need the same correction. (That can also be done for RAW files.)

If you then click on the "Done" button all those ACR edits and adjustment will be saved to an XMP "sidecar" file and it will appear with those changes in Bridge. These are non-destructive changes as you have not altered the original JPEG, you have just added an instruction set. Now when you open that JPEG/RAW file in CS you will have saved several process steps in Photoshop. Then use "Save as" to rename your finished product leaving the original intact.

Regards,

Savageduck
Thanks for all the good info. I don’t think I need Lightroom, it’s just one more program. My Canon Rebel does take RAW images and can also be set to RAW and JPG (1 picture, 2 formats) I had it set on that for awhile, but they are so big, and I go over what I take and weed out the best ones to do something with anyway. I’ve really just now gotten into the idea of RAW and what it can do. Seems like other adjustments (in PS) can do the same, but I have to keep going and opening one and don’t have them all in front of me. I take a lot of shots outside, of the changing seasons, like right now it’s a lot green and wildflowers. Mainly just for my own pleasure and sharing them when I can. That, and PS helps me feel like I’m learning and doing and being productive.
J
Joel
Jun 15, 2011
"Carrie" wrote:

I just realized I can ask and maybe get an answer to this here! I have looked for answers online but haven’t found any. Maybe I’m not asking the question correctly, or it’s so simple no one has put up answers about it? I know in preferences I can set up a secondary plugin folder. Somewhere else, that won’t have to open and load when PS does. But I can find it (access it) if I want something in it or to try out new plugins. So, I do that, set it up and put in the link to where it is (like on my external hard drive or something)
I open Photoshop. How do I access that 2nd plug in folder? It doesn’t show in the drop down menu under FILTERS. I thought it might show in ACTIONS or file or such. I have set up a 2nd plugin folder and checked the box for this and put in the link in preferences, but can’t find out how to access it. It seems like it would be so simple. I have added plugs in to the main folder (like Virtual Painter, etc) and they open fromt the drop down menu. I can’t find where the 2nd plugin folder is (with PS open)
Thanks!

When I was using plug-ins, I was always installed in 2nd folder outside of Photoshop’s main folder. So if you nÃĒd to reinstall/uninstall Photoshop you won’t lose the installed plug-ins.

To add the 2nd plug-ins folder you have to add from the References’ setting.
C
Carrie
Jun 24, 2011

I never paid much attention to Adobe Bridge, but after learning more about it use it more. I like it to go over my pictures and delete ones I don’t want to keep. Which, I guess seems obvious.
The more I learn about PS the more I see what I didn’t know. This might be also true about people and "life" LOL

Lee J. Moore
Cheshire, UK

C
Carrie
Jun 24, 2011
[..]

Lightroom also has quite a learning curve, so it’s not something you’ll pick up easily even if you’re already accustomed to Photoshop. For me, Lynda.com was a great help in that regard, but it’s not free. 😉

I know, I am finding this out. And I think for now anyway, what I am currently doing is enough.
Maybe because I found computers (and PS, etc) at a later age, I feel like I have so much to learn and catch up with and it’s always one step ahead of me. I have found videos easier to learn from. Find a lot in YouTube, too, but some aren’t so good. I spend a lot of time looking for tutorials. Another big help is having 2 monitors.

Lee J. Moore
Cheshire, UK

S
Savageduck
Jun 24, 2011
On 2011-06-24 05:40:43 -0700, "Carrie" said:

[..]

Lightroom also has quite a learning curve, so it’s not something you’ll pick up easily even if you’re already accustomed to Photoshop. For me, Lynda.com was a great help in that regard, but it’s not free. 😉

I know, I am finding this out. And I think for now anyway, what I am currently doing is enough.
Maybe because I found computers (and PS, etc) at a later age, I feel like I have so much to learn and catch up with and it’s always one step ahead of me. I have found videos easier to learn from. Find a lot in YouTube, too, but some aren’t so good. I spend a lot of time looking for tutorials. Another big help is having 2 monitors.

Kelby & Photoshop User TV always have something of interest once you get through the individual gushing from the hosts.
< http://kelbytv.com/photoshopusertv/ >
Go to "Shows" at that site and also check out "Lightroom Killer Tips" & D-TownTV.

Also it is worth taking a look at what CS5 with the current version of bridge has to offer.
<
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/photoshop-cs5-feature-tour/whats-n ew-in-photoshop-cs5-and-photoshop-cs5-extended/

Regards,

Savageduck

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer đŸ”ĨđŸ”ĨđŸ”Ĩ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections