QUESTION: Looking for action or free plugin for matting.

B
Posted By
BD
Jun 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, all.

I’m making some content for a PhotoBook, to be bound at a local Wal- Mart or something.

The stock layouts don’t particularly turn me on, so I created an image manually. I want the illusion of multiple images placed in a matboard, including bevel cuts around the images.

My process was:

1) Take a photo of a real matboard
2) Add that as Layer 1
3) Open a photo, size it appropriately for placement
4) Create a white rectangle, 10 pixels wider on each side than the photo (this will be the cut bevel)
5) Place it on the matboard as a new layer
6) Use the Inner Shadow function against the bevel layer, to slightly darken the top and right edges of the white rectangle
7) Flatten the image.
8) Select the bevel area, and clean up the lower-right and upper-left corners so that the bevel angle is present (The Inner Shadow effect doesn’t create the desired effect in those corners, and I had to flatten because I could not modify the pixels created by the shadow effect otherwise)
9) Place the photo over the white rectangle, and adjust it carefully for proper alignment.
10) Flatten.

The end result was decent – here’s a closeup crop of some of the corners of the bevels.

http://members.shaw.ca/robertrd/mat_test.jpg

Only problem: it takes time.

I’m looking for any canned actions or free/cheap plugins to accomplish the same effect.

Or, suggestions to help streamline this process.

Thanks!!

Cheers,

BD

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BD
Jun 8, 2007
Huh…

Having better luck finding such stuff on the web than I did before posting. Oh well.

I guess there’s stuff out there. Any ringing endorsements would be appreciated. 😉
K
KatWoman
Jun 8, 2007
"BD" wrote in message
Hi, all.

I’m making some content for a PhotoBook, to be bound at a local Wal- Mart or something.

The stock layouts don’t particularly turn me on, so I created an image manually. I want the illusion of multiple images placed in a matboard, including bevel cuts around the images.

My process was:

1) Take a photo of a real matboard
2) Add that as Layer 1
3) Open a photo, size it appropriately for placement
4) Create a white rectangle, 10 pixels wider on each side than the photo (this will be the cut bevel)
5) Place it on the matboard as a new layer
6) Use the Inner Shadow function against the bevel layer, to slightly darken the top and right edges of the white rectangle
7) Flatten the image.
8) Select the bevel area, and clean up the lower-right and upper-left corners so that the bevel angle is present (The Inner Shadow effect doesn’t create the desired effect in those corners, and I had to flatten because I could not modify the pixels created by the shadow effect otherwise)
9) Place the photo over the white rectangle, and adjust it carefully for proper alignment.
10) Flatten.

The end result was decent – here’s a closeup crop of some of the corners of the bevels.

http://members.shaw.ca/robertrd/mat_test.jpg

Only problem: it takes time.

I’m looking for any canned actions or free/cheap plugins to accomplish the same effect.

Or, suggestions to help streamline this process.

Thanks!!

Cheers,

BD

open the layered psd you already created
remove pictures, maybe make guides around them first
save as> my template or other name
drag new photos in to replace the original ones?

or just use the layers effects to create the borders and copy/paste the styles onto all the layers you need to match
you can adjust the inner shadow to be more square in the corners (forget how exactly but I have done it in effects options, range?

I have a plug-in called Filters Unlimited-has quite few ready made frames, vignettes, weird effects etc

layer styles may also work well here

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections