How to precisely size and place a box exactly centered in a layer?

D
Posted By
dglaser
Jun 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I got interested a while back in what tools PS had for precisely placing and positioning objects (groups of pixels or vector shapes).

I made up a summary on my web site for those interested at: http://www.pacificsites.net/~dglaser/art/PhotoShopTips/PSTip sDaleSum02P.html

But these are just the methods. I have an actual problem to solve and I wondered what people thought would be the best way to do it.

I am designing a CD cover. The company which will print the cover specifies a buffer zone around the edges to not spill text or important art into. I want to create an overlaying layer with a 1 pixel box showing this buffer zone. The CD cover is 1490 x 1490 pixels. The buffer box would be 1370 x 1370 pixels precisely centered over the cover art.

How to make this box?

Yes, I could just use guides to show the buffer area but they aren’t permanent.

But at this point the only way I can see to create this box is to start with guides and then use it to create a selection or shape.

Is there a quicker way without using guides???

Dale

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
john
Jun 5, 2004
In article ,
(Dale Glaser) wrote:

How to make this box?

But at this point the only way I can see to create this box is to start with guides and then use it to create a selection or shape.

Yes, but it’s more trouble. Here, if I may, one last look at guides and a way to automate this whole thing: Set two new guides (one vert, one horiz) and type in "50%" for placement. When you draw your shape, set the exact measurements, check ‘snap’ and ‘draw from center’, click on the crosshair and be done. You can action this to obviate guides and all the rest of the setps for subsequent applications. Bingo, push button.
T
Tom
Jun 5, 2004
"jjs" wrote in message
In article ,
(Dale Glaser) wrote:

How to make this box?

Yes, but it’s more trouble. Here, if I may, one last look at guides and a way to automate this whole thing: Set two new guides (one vert, one horiz) and type in "50%" for placement. When you draw your shape, set the exact measurements, check ‘snap’ and ‘draw from center’, click on the crosshair and be done. You can action this to obviate guides and all the rest of the setps for subsequent applications. Bingo, push button.

I’m not the original poster, but had a similar task. This helps greatly as I had overlooked the fact the snap tool would work from the center.

Thanks for the tip.

Tom
E
edjh
Jun 5, 2004
Dale Glaser wrote:

I got interested a while back in what tools PS had for precisely placing and positioning objects (groups of pixels or vector shapes).
I made up a summary on my web site for those interested at: http://www.pacificsites.net/~dglaser/art/PhotoShopTips/PSTip sDaleSum02P.html
But these are just the methods. I have an actual problem to solve and I wondered what people thought would be the best way to do it.
I am designing a CD cover. The company which will print the cover specifies a buffer zone around the edges to not spill text or important art into. I want to create an overlaying layer with a 1 pixel box showing this buffer zone. The CD cover is 1490 x 1490 pixels. The buffer box would be 1370 x 1370 pixels precisely centered over the cover art.

How to make this box?

Dale

Using the Rectangular Marquee choose Fixed Size from the dropdown in the Options Bar. Enter the dimensions. Make your rectangle roughly in the middle. Fill the selection, deselect. Then Select All (the entire canvas) Layer>Align with Selection>Vertical Centers, then Horizontal centers.

Then Layer Styles>Stroke> one pixel inside. Lower Fill Opacity to zero. Done.

Or if you prefer, Ctrl-click on layer in palette to select the rectangle, delete the fill, Edit>Stroke.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
M
Martin
Jun 5, 2004
In article ,
(Dale Glaser) wrote:

If you’re using a Mac you can do it with this AppleScript:

http://prometheus.idea-digital.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=24 7

No need for guides or making a selection by hand – just enter the border width in pixels (and amend the document size to whatever you want).

Regards

Martin
D
dglaser
Jun 6, 2004
Using the Rectangular Marquee choose Fixed Size from the dropdown in the Options Bar. Enter the dimensions. Make your rectangle roughly in the middle. Fill the selection, deselect. Then Select All (the entire canvas) Layer>Align with Selection>Vertical Centers, then Horizontal centers.

Then Layer Styles>Stroke> one pixel inside. Lower Fill Opacity to zero. Done.

Or if you prefer, Ctrl-click on layer in palette to select the rectangle, delete the fill, Edit>Stroke.

That’s a great method! I played around with your technique and came up with this variation:

Create fixed size selection. Edit/Stroke the selection. Do a Select All. Choose the Move tool and use the Align icons in the Options bar to align the box vertically and then horizontally.

I didn’t know you could align layer pixels to a selection in this way. I thought you could only use the Align icons with two or more linked layers.

Thanks
D
dglaser
Jun 6, 2004

Great technique! I got it to work with and without Snap choosen, so I am not sure what Snap does.

How would you use an action to create future centered boxes of different sizes?

Thanks!
J
jenelisepasceci
Jun 6, 2004
(Dale Glaser) wrote:

How to make this box?

It’s quite simple: Create the image at 1370 by 1370 px, create a new layer, select all, stroke the selection, increase the size of the working area to 1490 by 1490.

HTH, Peter

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections