OH
Posted By
Obloody_Hell
Mar 16, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m curious. What forms of Photoshop "add-ins" are generally vulnerable to any form of hacking (Assume I’m not talking about a direct exploit that somehow tricks PShop due to a buffer overrun or something).

I mean, of the following, which should I be concerned with if it’s from a source I don’t know about?

Actions
Fonts
Brushes
Vectors
(anything else I’m not thinking of?)
Installable PlugIns

I assume the last is dangerous, since it’s presumably executable code being added in many, if not all, instances, but what about the others? Which of Photoshop’s numerous extensible forms are subject to casual hacking (again, excluding some unobvious exploit)

Are there known and obvious ways for someone to use those to install malware?

If I’m surfing the web, and encounter a site offering a few free tools, like brushes or actions, or whatever, do I need to worry about some sort of trojan or anything masquerading as a useful tool, assuming they don’t get installed via an install routine, and/or don’t contain "exe" or "dll" code??

I assume this question has already been discussed, but a casual search did not identify anything resembling the question.

Any information in this regard would be appreciated.

TIA

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Mar 16, 2009
Any file can be a vulnerability. Even Adobe is working on cleaning up its own mess with Flash and Reader/Acrobat right now.

There is no way for you to selectively avoid questionable sites or files. We must use software for this. Set up anti-malware software and use an application that monitors network connections.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 16, 2009
I mean, of the following, which should I be concerned with if it’s from a source I don’t know much about?

all code is suspect from a source you don’t know much about. sad but true.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 16, 2009
There are around a hundred external file types that Photoshop could read. (fonts, profiles, presets of many types, images of many types, text files, javascript, flash files, etc.)

Most of those files are not likely to be used as malware vectors – because most of them do not contain code, and the loading is too random to create a buffer overflow and reliably execute code. Malformed files are most often just going to cause a program error or crash (of course, I want the files that crash so we can fix that!).

Javascript and Flash are sort of applications (scripts), and should be treated with caution. They do not contain executable code, but could be used to write code elsewhere on the system.

Yes, plugins are executable code – those are potential malware vectors. Plugins should be treated the same as downloaded applications.
DM
dave_milbut
Mar 16, 2009
scan ANYthing you download.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections