G
Posted By
GordonLeadbeater
Mar 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use CS3, 3gb of Ram and more then 50mb of free hard disk space.

When I convert a Raw image to Jpg the file size is reduced but opened in CS3 the Image size appears unchanged. What is the correlation between image and file size? I thought the Image Size was the horizontal number of pixels x the vertical. If this is correct and the jpg has less pixels how can CS3 show it as having the same image size?
in addition what is the use of Image Size other than to indicate the print size at a given resolution?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BC
Bart_Cross
Mar 3, 2009
Well what you are seeing in Explorer is the compressed size of the JPG, in Photoshop you are seeing the uncompressed size.
F
Freeagent
Mar 3, 2009
Don’t get the concepts confused, Gordon.

The image size is the pixel measurement. How many pixels high, times how many pixels wide. To change that, the image has to be resampled. File format plays no part in that.

The file size, however, is the amount of space it takes up on your hard drive, measured in megabytes. Here the file format does matter, because different formats use different compression schemes. Jpeg is heavily compressed and therefore takes up less space. But the pixel count is the same.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections