MK
Posted By
Mark_Kishel
Mar 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all. I’m on a seemingly neverending quest to get CS3 working faster. I have a Vista Ultimate 32bit system with 4gb ram and a quadcore Q9300 processor. I have recently purchased a second 750gb Sata2 drive to use as a scratch disk.
I’m now trying to decide how to best tweak the settings in CS3 for max speed and performance. I have noticed that CS3 is only seeing like 1.6gb of ram. Vista sees the full 4gb. I have read that i need to type this under the command prompt but have been uanble to do that right…

bootcfg /raw "\pae" /A /ID 1

can anyone shed some light on how to get CS3 to recognize more avaiable ram? I found some posts on here about this, but I haven’t found a solution yet with them. Any reason why I shouldn’t get CS3 to recognize more? Help! Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BL
Bob Levine
Mar 2, 2009
CS3 is a 32 bit app.

Vista tells you that it’s seeing 4 gigs. If you had 8 it would "see" that, too.

Move up to Vista 64 and 8 gigs along with CS4 (now that it’s patched) and you get Photoshop to use much more RAM.

Bob
CC
Charlie_Choc
Mar 2, 2009
Do a search on "IncreaseUserVA" to let your Vista apps address more than 2G RAM. You still can’t address the entire 4G, but you can get a little more RAM for PS. —
Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com
MK
Mark_Kishel
Mar 3, 2009
Robert-
I think 64bit is your answer for everything! The system just really be great for you to recommend so often. I’m looking seriously into switching…I’m just a little gunshy as I don’t want to end up with a cpu that is unusable for any lenght of time

Charlie-
Thanks for the info. I looked that up and it said that changing htis can cause some system instability. Have you noticed that?
F
Freeagent
Mar 3, 2009
changing htis can cause some system instability.

It can, but the good news is that you’ll notice immediately on boot-up, by the graphics driver, or the sound driver, or something else, refusing to load. If it boots OK, you’re probably fine.

It has to do with taking some of the address space that is normally used by system and drivers, and re-allocating it to user applications that can take advantage of it, which PS can.

Personally I wouldn’t recommend it. I used the xp equivalent, the famous /3GB switch, on and off until I finally disabled it. The performance increase was barely noticeable when running Photoshop alone, and there was a clear performance hit with heavy multitasking. It simply wasn’t worth it.

With the /3GB switch it was common procedure to set it up as dual-boot in case you ran into problems. I don’t know if that’s possible with "IncreaseUserVA".
CC
Charlie_Choc
Mar 3, 2009
some system instability. Have you noticed that?

No. I have had mine set to 3072 for as long as I have been running Vista (from the early betas) and haven’t had any problems. YMMV, of course. —
Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections