BM
Posted By
Book_Marshall
May 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My G5 MacIntosh is equipped with 4 gigabytes of RAM. Photoshop is only seeing 2 GB available RAM. I am working on huge display files. Why don’tI don’t I see more RAM available in the preferences?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
May 3, 2004
It’s a limitation of the OS. Any given application can only use a maximum of 2GB. (Well, almost 2GB.) That will not change until the 64-bit operating systems come along, several years down the road. Many expect it will happen on the dark side first before the Mac goes to 64 bits.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 3, 2004
I wouldn’t count on that!

Longhorn’s debut still seems to be years away — and the debut date gets extended and extended and extended……

Long…horn is proving to be a most appropriate name.
P
povimage
May 3, 2004
It’s working properly…

Think about using some of the other 2 gB for a RAMDISK, then use that RAMDISK as your first scratch disk.

Keith
R
Ram
May 3, 2004
Just don’t use the whole 2GB for a RAM disk or you won’t leave anything for the system and any other applications you might want to run at the same time. 🙂

Keith,

I wonder how much good a 1GB scratch disk can be.
RW
Rene_Walling
May 3, 2004
Longhorn’s debut still seems to be years away — and the debut date gets extended and extended and extended……

And all this time I thought it was called Longwait…
R
Ram
May 3, 2004
No one suggests 64-bit computing is just around the corner, whether from Seattle or Cupertino. At least I haven’t heard or read anyone claim that.
P
povimage
May 3, 2004
Ramón,

I have found even a 512mB or 448mB RamDisk can result in realworld performance benefits.. That’s even when I’m using images that in 8bits run about 100 mB a layer.

Like much in Photoshop your mileage will depend upon the images you are working on..

But unless you plan on generally running a whole bunch of memory intensive processes simultaneously, I don’t see much downside to setting up a 1gB ramdisk in a situation where you have 4gB totoal ram..

Keith
B
Buko
May 4, 2004
I personally don’t see much benefit to a 1 gig Ram disk when most scratch disk files are 5 to 10 gig or even more, you are only able to go as fast as the slowest disk in the chain. Put that RAM to good use and use some other software at the same time like iTunes or InDesign
R
Ram
May 4, 2004
My initial thoughts were along the same line as Buko’s for the very same reasons he states, but Keith feels otherwise. Since my new machine is maxed out at 2GB of RAM, I can’t really afford a RAM disk anyway, so it’s a little more comforting to go with Buko’s conclusion. 🙂
L
Larryr544
May 4, 2004
Not true. Each disk will go at it’s own speed. Set the RAM disk as the first scratch disk.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections