CC
Posted By
chris_coco
Apr 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I run CS2 on windows vista with 4 GB Of RAM ,CS2 only sees 1.7!Where is the rest of the RAM and how can I get it?
Thank you.
Chris.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

D
DGWaters
Apr 16, 2008
Basically you can’t. This is a 32-bit operating system limitation where the full 4GB address space is divided in two: user applications get the lower half, that’s 2GB, while the upper half is reserved for system processes and drivers.

There are ways to shift the balance to 3:1 (giving user apps access to 3GB) – in xp that involves modifying the boot.ini file (the /3GB switch) but in vista it’s a bit more complicated. Do a google search on BCDEdit.

If you really want more memory consider vista x64, where these limitations don’t apply.
CC
chris_coco
Apr 16, 2008
Thank you.
Chris.
I
ID._Awe
Apr 16, 2008
Chris: Unfortunately you cannot modify the boot.ini in Vista with a 3Gb switch, if you update to Vista64, Photoshop will see up to 2.7 (I have 8Gb of RAM) and the OS will allow PS access that amount as a private working set & even more RAM if necessary.
BL
Bob Levine
Apr 16, 2008
Photoshop will see up to 2.7

I’m showing 3255 MB with CS3 and 8 gigs.

Bob
CC
Charlie_Choc
Apr 16, 2008
Chris: Unfortunately you cannot modify the boot.ini in Vista with a 3Gb switch,

In Vista it is ‘increaseUserVA.

Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 16, 2008
I’m showing 3255 MB with CS3 and 8 gigs.

I’m showing 3255 MB with CS3 and 4 gigs.
I
ID._Awe
Apr 16, 2008
I have CS2, but no matter, Vista gives me access to more RAM outside the private working set if necessary.

I did not see the ‘increaseUserVA’ as an option, but….. not matter, still working great.
CC
Charlie_Choc
Apr 16, 2008
You only need increaseUserVA for the 32 bit version of Vista, you get it automatically with the 64 bit version.

Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com
I
ID._Awe
Apr 16, 2008
My memory fails me, been a while since I had the 32bit version installed.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 16, 2008
My memory fails me,

I KNEW it! 😛 🙂
I
ID._Awe
Apr 16, 2008
😉

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections