CJ
Posted By
Chiswick_John
Jul 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just moved up from 3G to 5G of ram running on a Xeon XP64 machine but CS2 9.0.1 is not seeing any more than before – I was under the impression that under XP64 CS2 could use up to 3.4G.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Pipkin
Jul 21, 2006
B
bmoag
Jul 21, 2006
Once you get this working it would be interesting if you write another post about whether or not your working speed in Photoshop has actually increased. I used Win64 for a time with 2gbs RAM, but I was not convinced that working speeds were significantly faster than with 32bit Windows. I had to give up on Win64 because of the many, many problems with this OS: I wish you luck, a reliable anti-virus program and a reliable CD/DVD writing program.
CJ
Chiswick_John
Jul 28, 2006
Ping – the Adobe technical doc does not fully address this issue – why is CS2 only showing 2.7G available to it when I have 5gb installed on XP64?
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Jul 28, 2006
why is CS2 only showing 2.7G available to it when I have 5gb installed on XP64?

CS2 is showing 2.7GB (2786MB) available with 2GB installed… on XP-64 and Vista-64 bit.
L
LenHewitt
Jul 28, 2006
The Tech Doc DOES address this:

When you run Photoshop CS2 on a computer with a 64-bit processor (such as a G5, Intel Xeon processor with EM64T, AMD Athlon 64, or Opteron processor), and running a 64-bit version of the operating system (Mac OS v10.3 or higher, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition), that has 4 GB or more of RAM, Photoshop will use 3 GB for it’s image data. You can see the actual amount of RAM Photoshop can use in the Maximum Used By Photoshop number when you set the Maximum Used by Photoshop slider in the Memory & Image Cache preference to 100%. The RAM above the 100% used by Photoshop, *which is from approximately 3 GB to 3.7 GB*, can be used directly by Photoshop plug-ins (some plug-ins need large chunks of contiguous RAM), filters, actions, etc.

If you have more than 4 GB (to 6 GB (Windows) or 8 GB (Mac OS)), the RAM above 4 GB is used by the operating system as a cache for the Photoshop scratch disk data. Data that previously was written directly to the hard disk by Photoshop, is now cached in this high RAM before being written to the hard disk by the operating system. If you are working with files large enough to take advantage of these extra 2 GB of RAM, the RAM cache can speed performance of Photoshop

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections