GM
Posted By
Geordie_Moffatt
Feb 13, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all, my company has just upgraded to Photoshop CS4 and some of my artists are asking some UI questions. If anyone has an answer/woraround/information on these points that would be great. I’ve done some searching on these forms and cant find and info on these points.

1. Right-click menu on document window title bar has gone. (Used to have Image/Canvas resize options, no only accessible through the ‘image’ menu)

2. CTRL-Double-left-Click on an empty area of photoshop’s background used to open the ‘new document’ dialogue.

3. Dragging a file from explorer to photoshop opens it as a maximised tab, even if you have tabbed images turned off.

TNKS!

G

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John Joslin
Feb 13, 2009
All these points have been discussed at length in various threads in this forum. Rather than trying to answer them yet again here, I suggest you tell your "artists" to press that magic F1 key and go through the introductory videos on the page that appears, and to look at some of the linked tutorials.

It will cost some creative time but this will be amply compensated for by their enhanced skills when they’ve done.
F
Freeagent
Feb 13, 2009
1 & 2 are apparently gone, but Ctrl + N should do it for new document. Image and Canvas Size are Alt+Ctrl+I and Alt+Ctrl+C respectively.

3 – dragging the file to the menu bar instead of into the frame opens it as a window. Pulling the tab will also loosen it.

Edit: Oops, cross post. Sort of spoiled your point there, JJ. Sorry 🙂
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 13, 2009
No problem. 😉

The important thing with CS4 is to spend some time learning about the new features.

It not as simple as earlier version changes.
GM
Geordie_Moffatt
Feb 13, 2009
Cool, thanks guys, I did extensivly search for these points, it’s not that easy to find stuff here if you only visit once every couple of months, some posts have several hundred replies etc and I simply don’t have the time to sift through it all, not trying to be rude, just telling it like it is, I do really appreciate the replies. Maybe some links to these posts? I also looked in the FAQ…

My ""artists"" have to churn out several pieces of concept art / textures for games per day plus deal with our own internal technical issues and don’t have the time to look up help on how to use an app that they have been using for 10+ years. They should already have all the skills they need and shouldn’t have to look up help on anything other than new features, not to work out how to use the program from scrath again. I guess because they use a very limited cross section of Photoshop’s features (pretty much painting and thats it) they get annoyed when all these extra features get added that they don’t use and at the same time they’re workflow gets messed up. Most of the time they just ask "Have they made it like painter yet?".

I’m not at all saying that the new features arn’t great, it’s justs that such a large number of people and industries use Photoshop its hard to keep everyone happy. I don’t intend this as a flame of any sort, just getting it off my chest.

Thanks again for the replies,

G
F
Freeagent
Feb 13, 2009
I just tell people to skim through the "disaster thread" if they have problems. It’s probably in there somewhere XD
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 13, 2009
As I said, the important thing with CS4 is to spend some time learning about the new features.

It not as simple as earlier version changes.

An hour invested now will be recouped with better productivity. Don’t be so short-sighted!
QP
Q_Photo
Feb 14, 2009
Trying new things, now and then, can be very stimulating. My wife, of many years, practically demands it.
Q

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections