Screen turns bluish on shutdown Asus ee pc running through an Aspire 5670 monitor

SJ
Posted By
Stephen_J
Jan 26, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know this is a bit of an odd one but I hope that maybe someone can help me!

I’m running photoshop on my Asus eee pc but I have it running on an Acer Aspire 5670 monitor (bigger screen makes it easier for my retouching work!) and whenever I shutdown photoshop my screen gets a little bit bluer.

I can fix it by doing a recalibration but it’s still kinda annoying because I don’t always remember to do it and I’m sure you can understand that trying to get skin tones right when your screen is blue can be an utter nightmare.

Please let me know what other information you might need to help.

Thankyou!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SJ
Stephen_J
Jan 26, 2009
Sorry guys I forgot to say that I’m using CS2.

* slaps forehead*

I’m pretty confident that this is a problem with the software because I’ve tried everything else.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 26, 2009
Unfortunately, Photoshop doesn’t change the display profile, or anything about the display — all it does is read the data provided by the OS.

So, you need to be looking at third party software, or the video card driver.
SJ
Stephen_J
Jan 29, 2009
Ok, I can understand that me saying something is wrong with your program is kind of like me saying that you’ve done sloppy work, and I can completely understand why you’d get defensive like you did.

I am, however, more than a little bit put out that you’ve made me do a whole bunch of unneccesary legwork just because you don’t want to admit a fault with the software.

Acer have confirmed it as a problem with photoshop – you can call and ask for yourself if you want – I got hold of them on 1300 362 328 (but I’m in Australia so you might want to call your local one.)

Asus have also confirmed it as a problem with photoshop – you can all and ask them as well – you can’t call them right now because of chinese new year but you can still mail them here: <http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx>

Once again, I know that the first reaction to criticism is to take it personally and get defensive. I understand that. Please recognise, however, that because of your reaction I have wasted over 6 hours of my time trying to solve this problem.

I’d appreciate it if you could remove your emotions from this and just solve my problem like an adult.

Thanks
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 29, 2009
Who’s getting emotional then?

You are just experiencing the normal buck-passing that goes on between parties when there is a fault in a system involving several companies.

I can’t pronounce on the rights and wrongs in this case, however you may have been talking to call centre drongos rather than engineers who were part of the development team.

There is also another potential source of error but of course you knew that didn’t you?
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Jan 29, 2009
The "fix it by doing a recalibration" comment sounds fishy (and a clue) to me.
SJ
Stephen_J
Jan 29, 2009
John – when you say that I may have been talking to call centre drongos, you’re probably right. I’ll go back and make sure I get a recording next time. I wouldn’t mind but apparently I was speaking to the head of the department. I didn’t take any names so I guess that was my fault.

I’ve re-read my email and as much as it seemed like I’d taken out all the emotion at the time, coming back and looking again I can see that it’s still very obvious I’m fairly upset about all this.

Sorry, It’s just that so far I’ve spent 6 hours on the phone, which is about 24 photos retouched (a decent bit of money when I can do it properly). Now it looks like I’m going to have to be on hold for another few hours tomorrow. I’m frustrated and I’m lashing out where I shouldn’t. Sorry again. I’ve turned in a couple of pieces that looked fine on my (bluish) monitor but looked horrible when I was being shown why I’m getting less work now.

My main client pays for me to get a recalibration every 6 months but I’m finding I need one every few weeks. If I wasn’t friends with someone that recalibrates monitors for a living I’d have to pay $100 a pop. I’m getting one every couple of weeks at the moment and I’m at the point of tearing my hair out here.

I’m saying this more so that you can understand where I’m coming from here rather than as some sort of justification of my earlier post. I know that I shouldn’t be rude to people that are trying to help me and again, I’m sorry.

In terms of "another potential source of error" though, I should point out that I only came here as a last resort – I don’t get this problem when I run any other applications on either laptop. I have spent a lot of time on the phone to both asus and acer over the last few months. I was a bit quick to point the finger but I’ve spent a lot of time ruling out other options.

I recognise that by saying it’s your code’s problem I’m almost saying that your baby is ugly and I really shouldn’t have gone so far earlier. Honestly though, if you could at least give me some ammunition when I call the other various hardware support places I would be eternally grateful.

Wolf – As mentioned, I have a friend that can recalibrate my monitor for free. It’s getting to the point where I’m being really demanding and he just keeps giving out of the goodness of his heart. I appreciate that that’s what you guys are doing also and I hope people haven’t been put off my the harshness of my earlier message. I’m just really really frustrated by all of this.
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 29, 2009
We are mainly fellow-users here. But we are glad when people like Chris pop in.

I think it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a calibrator such as the X-Rite Eye-One Display2 (about £100 here) and know your monitor is correctly profiled.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 29, 2009
….And doing it every couple of weeks isn’t absurd. I do that. Which, of course, doesn’t mean that things I do aren’t absurd, because they are!

Rob
GK
Geoff_K_Jackson
Jan 29, 2009
Stephen, you say that you are using a Acer Aspire 5670 monitor. Is this a monitor or is it a laptop screen? The Acer website does not list a 5670 monitor.
You say your screen goes a little bit bluer when you close down Photoshop. If you re-open Photoshop does the blue go away?
What is your RGB working space in Color settings?
Geoff.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 29, 2009
Acer have confirmed it as a problem with photoshop

well they would know, since they wrote photoshop, right? oh… wait…
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jan 29, 2009
Geoff asked the question I want to know.

The fact that it turns bluer during shutdown suggests to me that the profile is running during photoshop, but not otherwise. I would look into the driver for the video and see how it is set up. At one time, I had similar problems with a crt, but it turned out I had the video card reconfigured to "help" with adjusting the contrast range. It made no difference in PS but as soon as I came out of PS, the color balance changed. In fact, I had two profiles. By eliminating all intervention by the video card setup (everything set to defaults), the problem went away.

Talk to the fellow doing your recal, which, btw, you can do it yourself and save a bundle.

Also, 2 to 4 week recal cycle isn’t a bad idea.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 30, 2009
Stephen – who got defensive? All I did was try to correct your mistakes and give you more information about the problem you describe. The fact is that Photoshop cannot do what you claim Photoshop is doing, and that the video driver or third party utilities CAN do what you describe (especially because we’ve seen it happen before).

There should be no need for you to recalibrate all the time – just restore the display profile to what it is supposed to be (that’s the part your driver seems to be messing up). Of course, if your video driver didn’t mess up your display profile, you wouldn’t have to keep resetting the profile.

Please, stop attacking people who are trying to help you, and start listening to them.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jan 30, 2009
You should thank your lucky stars you are even able to get Photoshop running at all on an eee PC, which is designed as a low-priced, low-end "netbook."
SJ
Stephen_J
Jan 31, 2009
Michael – I got a good one – 1gb ram, 1.6ghz processor etc. It runs fine, if a little bit slow on the startup.

Chris – You may have missed my earlier apology and if so, sorry again for the tone of my earlier messages. That being said, the only thing I know for certain is that Photoshop is the only software I have this problem with. I’m still looking at other things and won’t accuse photoshop until I have ruled everything else out.

Geoff – I don’t know a huge amount about this stuff but I appreciate the help so far, at least I know the right things to ask my friend next time he’s here. He said something about CMYK settings over the phone but he was pretty busy so I didn’t get to ask how that would work on my RGB monitor.

Anyway, you’ve all given me some great advice so thanks. I’ll ask my mate a bunch of questions when he’s around next so hopefully I can report back some good news.
SJ
Stephen_J
Feb 7, 2009
Ok guys forget it, I just bought paint shop pro and I’m not having any more problems. I won’t be coming back to photoshop, I can’t believe I wasted my money on it last time when I could do the same job at a fraction of the cost.

Chris – this is clearly something wrong with your code. I uninstall photoshop and hey, presto! no more problems. Maybe if you’d just taken it on board at the start of all this you’d still have a loyal customer recommending your product to his friends.

Oh, wait, you’re part of a big company that doesn’t need customers.

I’m embarrassed and ashamed that I let you people take so much money from me. I got conned.
DE
David_E_Crawford
Feb 7, 2009
Stephen,
paint shop pro x1 and x2 installs a background running service called PSIService.exe that collects information and It phones home too. Turn the service off and the software refuses to work. You got screwed a lot worse now. Enjoy.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 7, 2009
that’s a little harsh david. the web says that’s psp’s copy protection mechanism. sounds little like adobe license manager. guess what happens to photoshop if you turn ALM off?

< http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&t hreadID=225824&messageID=2378230>

and according to that thread it CAN be disabled… hmm…
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 7, 2009
my mistake. it must be running in order to run apps that are protected by it. same as ALM.

< http://www.protexis.com/support/support_PSIService.htm#link7>
SJ
Stephen_J
Feb 7, 2009
So wait, the worst thing about paint shop pro is that it has the some of the same bullshit that adobe does?

Here’s where the scales tipped in paint shop pro’s favour:

Adobe – does what I want it to but turns the screen blue for no good reason

PSP – all of the above minus the blue part

I would never have even considered paint shop pro before all of this crap, now I discover that I could get the job done just as well without spending well over a thousand dollars? I was saving up for an upgrade, now I have a holiday planned.

I suppose I should be saying thanks here.
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 7, 2009
What’s all this paranoia about "phones home"? Do you seriously think the licence checking function is surreptitiously copying the contents of your hard drive as you work. Turn off the internet if you think it’s a bad thing – the software will still work.

Sheesh!
BC
Bart_Cross
Feb 7, 2009
Stephen: ‘whenever I shutdown photoshop my screen gets a little bit bluer’, so your screen is bluer after you shutdown PS, how is that PS’s fault?

I totally fail to see the logic. It doesn’t do any such thing on my machine or anyone elses so ………….. it couldn’t possibly be something else could it?

While we all try to be helpful, it is not possible when you have already made a decision about what the fault is.

We are all happy you have sorted this out by getting another software, but methinks that you are in for a sad surprise somewhere in the future.
SJ
Stephen_J
Feb 7, 2009
Bart, the logic I used is called "process of elimination".

Do any other programs cause this problem? NO

Is it the monitor? NO

Is it the graphics card? NO

Would photoshop engineers and users rather pretend it’s my problem than admit a fault in their precious precious code, wasting hours of my time while I go from call centre to call centre and then accuse other businesses of passing the buck? YES

Did their behaviour lose them a vocal customer? YES.

So right now the worst thing I am facing is the possibility of a "sad surprise in the future". That’s the best you can do? It’s almost like everyone here recognises that PSP is a better, cheaper, faster piece of software and are clutching at straws to try and justify in their own minds why they’re paying thousands of dollars for an inferior product.

I honestly can’t say enough good things about paint shop pro, if you haven’t checked it out you should have a look. The funny part is that I would never have even considered it if it weren’t for the "help" of people like Chris Cox.
BC
Bart_Cross
Feb 7, 2009
Stephen: If you wanna’ play with toy laptops…….

I have used Corel PhotoPaint but PS is still my main gun for production.
GK
Geoff_K_Jackson
Feb 7, 2009
Stephen, Photoshop is the world’s leading imaging software, it is used by hundreds of thousands of professionals every day. It is a complicated software and needs a beginner such as yourself to learn how to use it, as well as learn how to set it up for the correct results. I have been using Photoshop for several years and my screen has never turned blue. I have been reading this forum and other groups for a long time and I have never read about PS turning a screen blue. Simple logic would point to a fault with your set up rather than a fault with Photoshop.
Good look with your new software, but bear in mind if you should go for a job interview in the future and you are asked if you can use Photoshop.
Geoff.
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 7, 2009
Bart, the logic I used is called "process of elimination".

For many things that works just fine. But with computers that logic just doesn’t fly.

Get yourself a real computer if you want to run Photoshop, otherwise good luck.

Bob
SJ
Stephen_J
Feb 7, 2009
I guess this is where cognitive dissonance kicks in for everyone else (it kicked in for me last week) – I know you’ve all invested huge amounts of time and money into this program. I’ve been using it for 8 years and upgrading like a loyal little fanboy.

Just because I’m not using this software anymore is no reason to brand me as a "beginner". I work freelance so I don’t really do job interviews so much as get clients and I have never met a client that is more interested in the software someone uses than they are in the results produced.

That being said, I’ll be showing off Paint Shop Pro to one of my bigger clients and suggest that he gets it rather than upgrading from CS1. He’ll save a fortune and will get faster, better software.

Seriously, why is everyone acting like the sky will fall if they don’t use photoshop? I haven’t seen a single real reason, just a bunch of "you’ll get a sad surprise in the future" and "good luck with your next job interview" – does anyone have any comments that are grounded in reality?

I’d honestly like to hear if there are REAL negatives to using Paint Shop Pro and I’d assume that people here would be full of them. You’re certainly full of something, I’ll give you that.
GK
Geoff_K_Jackson
Feb 7, 2009
Stephen, I gained the impression the you are a beginner because of your lack of knowledge of the software. Also you said that you "don’t know a huge amount about this stuff but I appreciate the help so far, at least I know the right things to ask my friend next time he’s here"
You were unable to answer my question about what is your RGB working space in Color settings. I find it had to believe that you have been using Photoshop for 8 years but do not know anything about your color settings. Has you screen been turning blue for 8 years or did it start when you got your net book computer?
Geoff.
SJ
Stephen_J
Feb 7, 2009
It’s been turning blue ever since I installed CS2 but it became a lot more pronounced when I got my eee. It used to be a lot more manageable.

And yes, I get my friend to worry about RGB settings and the like as this is his forte. I know plenty of people in the industry and I’m confident that I’d be met with a blank stare if I asked the average retoucher/designer what their RGB working space was.

How do I find that out?
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 7, 2009
here’s an idea. run psp on the system that can’t handle photoshop. run photoshop on your main computer.
GK
Geoff_K_Jackson
Feb 7, 2009
Go to Edit/ Color settings. See what it says in working spaces – RGB.
SJ
Stephen_J
Feb 7, 2009
sRGB IEC61966-2.1

My friend was saying that the CMYK settings should be US Webcoated and I had uncoated but that didn’t change anything.

Either way, it’s something of a moot point now. I do appreciate your efforts though Geoff. You are like a rose among thorns here.
JJ
John Joslin
Feb 7, 2009
I don’t think anyone really cares if you abandon Photoshop.

It’s more like pity for someone who comes here asking for help and then disagrees with everything suggested.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 7, 2009
GK
Geoff_K_Jackson
Feb 7, 2009
I’ve never been called a rose before! One last question before you leave us for Paint Shop Pro land. You mentioned that your net-book was connected to a Acer Aspire 5670. Is this a monitor or another laptop? I’ve asked you this before but you didn’t answer. The Acer web site lists that model as a laptop.
Geoff.
SJ
Stephen_J
Feb 8, 2009
It’s another laptop, but it has overheating issues so I just use the monitor.

John – You couldn’t have put it better when you said that noone really cares if I abandon photoshop. That’s a very good reason for me to do it. Adobe is too important to have customers these days.

As for disagreeing with everything suggested, I spent a lot of time ruling these options out before coming here. Don’t blame me for other people suggesting things that were incorrect.
CF
chris_farrell
Feb 8, 2009
I always thought the Asus EePC thing was for content viewing not content creation….anyway, if you have cs2 running I AM AMAZED…..KUDOS to you.

It sounds like a profile issue to me…..or a conflict between colour management somewhere. Yeah, maybe something in photoshop is causing it indirectly…..have set it up correctly?….don’t use canned profiles as they are always iffy and will cause colour issues.

If colour is important to your work get a decent screen and a hardware calibrator….and turn off all the colour management junk that comes with monitors/software – usually located in the start up menu.

Having said that, perhaps PSP is more suitable for a low end machine…
GK
Geoff_K_Jackson
Feb 8, 2009
So, you are running Photoshop on a little net-book computer that is connected to a screen on a laptop that has a overheating problem?? Have you tried a normal monitor? I’m sure one of your many friends in the trade would lend you one to test. It is possible that the laptop with the screen is causing the problem.

How do you connect the net-book to the laptop monitor?
SJ
Stephen_J
Feb 8, 2009
I just use a standard male/female monitor cable. I’ve tried going through other people’s monitors, on my plasma screen tv and on another friends projector set, still the same problem.

chris – 1gb ram, 64mb video memory and a 1.6ghz processor is plenty to run photoshop.
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 8, 2009
what about just using the screen on the netbook?
CF
chris_farrell
Feb 8, 2009
I wasn’t talking about performance..If it works for you, in that respect, that’s great!

Does it run Linux or XP? How does it manage colour?

btw, those specs were standard in 2002/03ish….so CS2 should run OK.

Can you give us a before / after screenshot of the problem?…so we are better informed visually….

Is the monitor extending your workspace or is it mirrored?….It can be difficult to have a external monitor calibrated with one gpu.
SJ
Stephen_J
Feb 8, 2009
The monitor is mirrored – extending slows things down too much. I’m using XP.

I can’t get a screenshot right now because I’m stuck in a heatwave and I left my eee at a friends house. I’m not going outside for anything today, it’s almost 40C.

Where were all you helpful people before I bought PSP?
BL
Bob Levine
Feb 8, 2009
chris – 1gb ram, 64mb video memory and a 1.6ghz processor is plenty to run photoshop.

Photoshop 7 maybe. But for anything after that, I disagree.

Bob
CF
chris_farrell
Feb 8, 2009
….screen shots may not work if it’s a profile issue..If you have a digi camera that’ll be better.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections