NS
Posted By
Norman Schwartz
Nov 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am preparing to replace my current video card (nVidia GT7600) with one more compatible with CS4 (Vista- single display). Can you recommend a suitable one either from nVidia or ATI. My use is primarily photographic enhancement so a high end 3D card is not necessary.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
Nov 22, 2008
Whatever you buy, make sure you can return it.

Bob
JB
Janice Barkan
Nov 22, 2008
Since reading all these issues regarding openGL cards, getting a new card and was looking into a ASUS geforce 9800 GT 512MB. I was told that it is a NVidia. Is that true and is it supported by Adobe for open gl?
Jan
F
Freeagent
Nov 22, 2008
Janice,

Here’s the list of tested cards:

< http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb 405711&sliceId=2>

But note that some people have had problems even with these, and there are no guarantees that they will work on your system. It’s probably much more system-on-the-whole-related than specific-card-related.

So like Bob said, make sure you can return it.
JB
Janice Barkan
Nov 22, 2008
What I’m trying to do is build a new system with an intel core 2 quad Q9550 asus psq-e motherboard, and they gave me a few choices as to the video card. They use ASUS and RADEON which images NVIDIA. That’s what is confusing me.
DC
David_Calvert
Nov 22, 2008
"Whatever you buy, make sure you can return it."

Anyone know a UK based online dealer who will do this?
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 22, 2008
By UK law they are all obliged to accept returns within 14 days.
DC
d_cole
Nov 22, 2008
Janice – I have a system built round a Q9550 (though with an older Asus motherboard). It’s this –

Q9550 cpu (cooled by a Thermalright 120 Extreme heatsink with a Scythe Slipstream 120mm fan); Asus P5K Premium Wifi motherboard (cooled by a Noctua NF-P12 120mm fan); x2 Noctua NF-S12 case fans; x2 WD Velociraptors 300Gb SATA hdds; Gigabyte 4850 passively cooled 1Gb pci-e vga card; Asus Xonar D2X pci-e soundcard; 3Gb DDR2 ram; LG Blu-Ray GGWH20L SATA Disc rewriter; an Antec P182 case and an Enermax Modu82+ 625W power supply

Works fine with CS4 and is very quiet.

David
JB
Janice Barkan
Nov 22, 2008
I’m using Puget systems to build mine as follows: ASUS P5Q-E motherboard, intel core 3 Qia; 2/83 GHZ 95w, 2x Kingston RAM DDR2-800 2048MB,ASUS GeFoprce 9600GT 512MB Silent (which I hope works), 3 hard drives one holding 1 TB and the other 2 320 Gig both Western Digital. Artic cooling Freeezere 7 Pro (775). I read on a post that someone had a problem with the software supplied by ASUS for their card. From your post, I gather that you have that same card and have no issues. Am I correct?
Jan
DC
d_cole
Nov 22, 2008
No. I do have an Asus 9600GT but I have not used it with CS4. When I installed CS4 I had a Gigabyte (ATI) 4850 1gb silent card and that’s what I’m using now. No problems at all with that. Screen redraws are not instantaneous but they’re quick enough for me.
David
JB
Janice Barkan
Nov 22, 2008
I do have an option in getting the ASUS RADEON 4850 1 Gig but not sure which way to go with it. I put in the order for the ASUS 9600 but can change it. Do you know of anyone who is operationg CS$ with that card?
F
Freeagent
Nov 22, 2008
Janice,

The 9600GT will most likely work fine. There are people who have problems with OpenGL in CS4 – but that seems completely random (so far) and there’s no discernible pattern as to which particular card those people are using. That’s why you should have a return option.

One thing, though: Don’t install the driver on the disk supplied by Asus. That’s an old driver. Get the newest, updated one from nVidia’s (or ATI’s) website.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 22, 2008
CS$

funny typo, or freudian slip? 🙂
JJ
John Joslin
Nov 22, 2008
I do it all the time but Firefux catches my typos thank goodness!
JB
Janice Barkan
Nov 22, 2008
That’s what’s confusing me. How can I go to NVidea or ATI of it’s manufactured by ASUS
JB
Janice Barkan
Nov 22, 2008
Actually…both
F
Freeagent
Nov 23, 2008
Ah. Asus just puts together the parts for the card. The actual processor (the GPU) is a chip made by nVidia (or ATI) and that’s what the driver has to deal with. The "GeForce 9600GT" designation is nVidia’s, not Asus’.
ND
Nick_Decker
Nov 23, 2008
funny typo, or freudian slip?

I’m goin’ with….Adobe doesn’t care. Well, probably the software engineers do, but the bean counters are counting their beans.

OK, this is non-productive, so I’ll just shut up and lick my financial wounds. Wait! I can’t reach them!
BC
Bart_Cross
Nov 23, 2008
Only because you’re not that flexible Nick.
ND
Nick_Decker
Nov 23, 2008
What do you mean by that, Bart? I’ve done everything that the engineers have suggested.
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 23, 2008
I think he meant the licking part… 😉
ND
Nick_Decker
Nov 23, 2008
Ah. I guess my sense of humor has lost some flexibility lately. 8)
BC
Bart_Cross
Nov 23, 2008
Nick: Everything except lick yourself 🙂
CS
Colin Sheehan
Dec 3, 2008
I have just set up a new system with XP64 and ASUS nvidia 9800GT 1gb card as well as the latest driver and CS4 refuses to allow openGL. Adobe does not want to comment on it, so I may have to swap it for the 880GTX in my other system which is recognised by Adobe as tested. Bummer!
JB
Janice Barkan
Dec 3, 2008
Is this driver on Adobe’s so called list of tested video cards?
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 4, 2008
I have just set up a new system with XP64

Unsupported and pretty much untested. You’d be better off with Vista 64 which has been tested and is fully supported.

Bob
LH
Les_Helgeson
Dec 4, 2008
Norman, what issues are you having with your current card that requires one that is "more compatible"?
NS
Norman Schwartz
Dec 4, 2008
Apparently the 7600 GT did not have updated drivers for CS4 and as a result I would get non-descript error message several times a day that Photoshop was closing. I was able (through this forum) to trace it to the GPU or GL feature of CS4. Disabling that through the preferences did not solve the problem. Adobe tech support finally provided a registry fix that seemed to work, however by then I purchased a new nVidia 9800 GT card. I did, however, have one or two shutdowns with the same error message subsequent to the registry change and prior to installing the new card that may have been attributable to other issues. I installed the new card today and have yet to have enough usage of CS4 to be assured that problem is resolved. I enabled the GPU feature (that I know little about) upon installing the new card and everything has operating smoothly all day.
B
BJNicholls
Dec 4, 2008
The "latest driver" advice isn’t particularly helpful when card manufacturers are focused on adding enhanced driver features for gaming. I posted a discovery that CS4 GPU features don’t work with the newest 180.48 nvidia driver’s PhysX GPU acceleration enabled. I’m afraid we’ll have to become very conversant about driver settings and card specs as we try to deal with the brave new world of Adobe GPU implementation.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 4, 2008
Apparently the 7600 GT did not have updated drivers for CS4 and as a result I would get non-descript error message several times a day that Photoshop was closing.

the 7600 seems to be running fine with: 6.14.11.7813

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=10FTRPR9xZVdSdjy2f NH8qewc2N>
WE
Wolf_Eilers
Dec 4, 2008
My NVIDIA GeForce 7300GS card with 6.14.11.7824 drivers (on XP) seems to behave best with the attached 3D setting. NVIDIA calls these Balanced settings and I have configured them specific to Ps CS4. (For Lr 2 I have configured Performance settings.)

I will confess however that CS4 does on occasion still crash – which surprises me since every Ps release I have had since version 6 were the most stable software on my machines.) Typing text is also mysteriously slow, slow, slow. GPU related?

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1YNHUJAX8drpnKil6L 2Gy861j3l1t01>
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 4, 2008
thanks for that screen shot…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections