JM
Posted By
John_Massa
Nov 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a very simple psd image. It has a transparent background and 3 short text phrases, each in its own layer. I need this image with transparent background for a website. When I use the Export Transparent Image function and save as a PNG, I get a white background. I’ve been messing with settings for over an hour. What could I be doing wrong? Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
Nov 22, 2008
Forget that "wizard" thing. Use Save for Web.
JM
John_Massa
Nov 22, 2008
Thanks. I originally was doing that but found that the resulting PNG image had resolution problems in IE7. Works fine in FF but fuzzy in IE7.
P
Phosphor
Nov 22, 2008
I suspect it’s an IE7 problem. Are you using PNG 24?
JM
John_Massa
Nov 22, 2008
I tried a range of options including PNG24. I need this for a commercial website so if IE7 is the problem, I need to do something else.
P
Phosphor
Nov 22, 2008
Can you post the image for us? I have done a little experimenting and see no difference in PNGs in FF or IE7.
JM
John_Massa
Nov 22, 2008
Ed, I really appreciate your help. To give you the full story, I’m using a bit of js to crossfade images that were created originally in PS. The same images look great if FF, fuzzy in IE7. All the images are PNGs. You can see the difference at

<http://www.stjohnlutheranschool.org/index4.html>
P
Phosphor
Nov 22, 2008
I don’t know what I’m looking for, but that site looks identical in both browsers on my (Windows XP) machine.

Perhaps others will have a different view.
JM
John_Massa
Nov 22, 2008
This turns out to be an IE7 bug related to improper rendering of PNG files with transparent backgrounds. Whoda’ thunk it? Thanks.
P
Phosphor
Nov 22, 2008
Hmmm. I’m not surprised, though I wonder why I am not seeing it on IE7 on my computer.

Fact is, previous versions of IE could not display PNGs with transparency at all, so I guess this could be called an "improvement". I avoid IE whenever possible.
P
Phosphor
Nov 22, 2008
Ed…

I thought you were the person who originally linked me to the I.E./PNG-display javascript?

<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/>

Then there’s this more in-depth update:
<http://24ways.org/2007/supersleight-transparent-png-in-ie6>
P
Phosphor
Nov 23, 2008
Yes, but that was for IE6 and before. Should not be needed for IE7.
S
Silkrooster
Nov 23, 2008
Maybe the difference between the two computers is a point upgrade.(guessing)
M
me
Nov 23, 2008
I don’t know what I’m looking for, but that site looks identical in both browsers on my (Windows XP) machine.

Perhaps others will have a different view.

The view is the same in both browsers for my Vista machine.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections