V
Posted By
vsodhani
Sep 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a picture of a ring shot on a white card. I initially cut out the picture using a path and pasted it on a white background. This did not give me what i was looking for because i realized there were some border pixels and some shadowing that when cut out made the picture have that cut-out look rather than looking like it was shot on a pure white background.

What I am looking to do is to take a cutout of the ring but leave a little of the border around the ring, then place this cutout on a white background and blend the edges. My question is is this the right way to go about it and if so i know how to cut the image out but how do i blend the edges of the cut out with a solide white background?

Thanks so much,
hb

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

K
KatWoman
Sep 13, 2005
wrote in message
I have a picture of a ring shot on a white card. I initially cut out the picture using a path and pasted it on a white background. This did not give me what i was looking for because i realized there were some border pixels and some shadowing that when cut out made the picture have that cut-out look rather than looking like it was shot on a pure white background.

What I am looking to do is to take a cutout of the ring but leave a little of the border around the ring, then place this cutout on a white background and blend the edges. My question is is this the right way to go about it and if so i know how to cut the image out but how do i blend the edges of the cut out with a solide white background?
Thanks so much,
hb

select >feather
P
patrick
Sep 14, 2005
How about:
Extract the ring to its own layer.
Fill the extracted ring with solid black.
Move the black image from behind the original image to create a shadow. Vary the opacity of the shadow and do a Gaussian Blur on it for effect.

Good luck! . . . . patrick

"KatWoman" wrote in message
wrote in message

Thanks so much,
hb

select >feather
J
jenelisepasceci
Sep 14, 2005
wrote:

Did you try "darken" as the blending mode?

Peter
V
vsodhani
Sep 15, 2005
is there a way to feather outside and not inside?
N
nomail
Sep 15, 2005
wrote:

Feather is neither inside or outside. It’s in the middle and spreads out both ways if you feather more.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
FN
Flo Nelson
Sep 15, 2005
wrote in message

If you want to soften just the outside of the ring, make a selection of the ring layer, then add the middle of the ring layer to your selection, then just feather the selection and you will be getting just the edge. Or to make it more precise, modify the selection to a small border and then blur that selection.

Flo

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections