KN
Posted By
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ken the slow here, I’ve transitioned all of my workflow from EPS to Photoshop Documents for images that are placed in InDesign. For clipping, I have paths in all the images for one company created over the past 10 years and simply tell InDesign to ‘use Photoshop Path.’ Now, I’d like to explore the area of Photoshop Documents with background transparency for placement in InDesign.

Basically a PSD with the image on a layer and the area around the image deleted. The actual background below the image layer seems to play no part in the use of the file so I leave that white?

My main questions at this point are: Any pitfalls to be aware of? Any preferred methods to constructing, saving and using files with transparency? For ‘hard-line’ products with variable backgrounds, wouldn’t making a path with the pen tool still be the most accurate way to get the best selection of the area to delete? How do you work with these?

TIA,

Ken

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Jul 20, 2006
take the eps file and open it.

resave as psd.

you can now use the path to make a mask

or

dupe original layer and use path to delete the background on it.

now turn off original layer(background).

I always use paths to cut things out
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 20, 2006
"I always use paths to cut things out"

I like.

"turn off original layer(background)." – Okay, so that’s how you handle that. I haven’t been turning them off. Just uncheck the ‘eye’-con right?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2006
My main questions at this point are: Any pitfalls to be aware of? Any preferred methods to constructing, saving and using files with transparency?

Put your images on the bottom layer. It will stop text from rasterizing when it interacts with transparent images – F-ing nightmares…..

Images above text elements get rasterized – regardless of transparency interactions.

Spot colors can and may be an issue.

Make sure you have the transparency flatter set for your desired output.

Save the correct PDF file format for the output – support PDF version.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2006
check
check
check
check
check

One question: What is ‘transparency flatter set’?
B
Buko
Jul 21, 2006
In ID.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2006
Thanks Mike, Buko. Don’t want to make the folks working in prepress roll their eyes when my projects come in. These poor folks see it all because they work in the most educational place on earth. Everyone should work in prepress for a minimum of two years.
B
Buko
Jul 21, 2006
Flattner settings are part of the PDF dialog.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 21, 2006
Sounds like the name of a WWF belt-holder, but I’ll read up on it.

Stay cool this weekend.
B
Buko
Jul 21, 2006
I have air conditioning. B)
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 22, 2006
Sounds like the name of a WWF belt-holder

LOL!

BTW, you’ll have better luck searching for "flattener"

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections