CS4: how to set default image window size?

TT
Posted By
Tony_Tx
Oct 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Currently, every new image opened in CS4 opens as a maximized window, with portions of the image hidden behind the right-hand panels … and so for each new image, I must execute the menu sequence Window – Arrange – Float in Window, then re-size the resulting window.

Is there any way to set my preferences here as a default?

Saving my workspace doesn’t do it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SG
steve_guilhamet
Oct 16, 2008
Hi Tony,

Go to Preferences> Interface> Panels & Documents. In that section you will see a check box to turn off ‘Open Documents as Tabs’, which will result in opening new documents as Floating windows.

The option just below that gives you control on how multiple windows behave regarding docking (and a modifier key for switching the behavior on the fly).

Regards,
steve
CH
CR_Henderson
Oct 16, 2008
steve guilhamet:The option just below that gives you control on how multiple windows behave regarding docking (and a modifier key for switching the behavior on the fly).

Are you perhaps working from the beta? I ask because I have the released version and I do have the checkbox labeled "Enable Floating Document Window Docking" in the ‘Panels & Documents’ group but I do not see anything related to a modifier key in the Interface area.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Oct 16, 2008
Hi CR,

Sorry, the info about the modifier key is in the tool tip (which I can’t get to show up to paste in hte string). Hover over the pref. option and it should show up. This is in the shipping version, btw.

Basically, if you have the option turned on, floating documents will ‘snap’ into a tabbed window layout when the title tab is dragged over another document title. You can disable this option on the fly by holding the CTRL key down.

Or, if you have the option off, you can make floating documents tab on the fly by holding down the CTRL key.
CH
CR_Henderson
Oct 16, 2008
Thanks, Steve

I hadn’t been in that dialog long enough to investigate the TT’s yet and your answer reminded me to do so 🙂
TT
Tony_Tx
Oct 16, 2008
Steve: Thanks! Now, do you know of any way to get CS4 to remember a specific window size/location to be used when opening a new document?
TT
Tony_Tx
Oct 16, 2008
Steve: I figured it out.

What I hadn’t realized was that my right-hand panels, though seemingly at the extreme right edge of the screen, were not docked to the edge of the screen — so the tabbed images extended underneath them.

With both left-side and right-side panels docked to the edges of the screen, tabbed images fill only the space between the panels — which is what I wanted as default behavior.
SG
steve_guilhamet
Oct 17, 2008
Good News, Tony. So it was the windows slipping under the panels that you were trying to avoid? I’m glad you figured it out.

Ps currently doesn’t have a preference or way to set a document size and location on Open. It always fits the new document into the existing window, less the elements docked to the left and right sides.

If you have times where being able to specify a default layout would be desired, please file a feature request. The current Arrange Documents (far right of menus, N-up) feature starts to hint that way but it is not part of a captured workspace.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections