PC
Posted By
Patrcik_Clary
May 10, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I’m having a problem setting my image files to open in Photoshop Cs2 after using the Photoshop CS3 Beta. I have uninstalled the beta and under the Properties > Opens with form I cannot set Photoshop CS2 as the default program for GIFs, PNGs, JPEGs, etc. I have tried going under Program Files>Adobe>Adobe Photoshop CS2 folder and selecting photoshop.exe but it doesn’t show up on the "Opens With" form. I have found that it works as expected for other applications including imageready.exe in the same folder but not for Photoshop. Has anyone else had a problem with this or know how to fix it?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JJ
John Joslin
May 10, 2007
In Windows Explorer, got to "Tools > Folder Options > File Types… " and set it there.
PC
Patrcik_Clary
May 10, 2007
This isn’t working, as for some reason photoshop doesn’t show up when I select it from the Program Files>Adobe>Adobe Photoshop CS2 directory. Is there a different photoshop.exe somewhere that I’m supposed to use for this?
JJ
John Joslin
May 10, 2007
What do you mean, "doesn’t show up"?

Have you tried using the Restore or Advanced buttons in that dialog?

It takes a bit of experimentation but it’s possible.
J
Jim
May 10, 2007
wrote in message
This isn’t working, as for some reason photoshop doesn’t show up when I select it from the Program Files>Adobe>Adobe Photoshop CS2 directory. Is there a different photoshop.exe somewhere that I’m supposed to use for this?

No. You just haven’t found the program yet.
If you have a shortcut to PS on your desktop that is working, then you can determine which folder contains the program.
Jim
AH
Amy_Howe
May 24, 2007
John, I have the exact same problem with CS3. I have used both Advanced and Restore buttons when changing File Type – the program, when you double click it, just does not populate on the list. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the program 4 times and nothing changes.

I’m at a complete loss.
AH
Amy_Howe
May 25, 2007
Has anyone else had this problem and gotten any kind of solution?? Adobe seems to be giving me the runaround…giving me the same instructions in different ways. I am getting frustrated to say the least…
DM
dave_milbut
May 25, 2007
try setting the preferences for file handling in bridge (cs2 or cs3).

edit> preferences> file type associations.
AH
Amy_Howe
May 25, 2007
hi dave,

the problem is not in bridge, apparently, because jpg and jpeg are associated with cs3 through bride.
DM
dave_milbut
May 25, 2007
the problem is not in bridge

I understand that, but bridge provides a utility to allow you to change those associations like you can in explorer. i have a sneaky feeling there’s a bit of quirky-ness going on between that functionality in bridge and explorer.

anyway, try to set the associations in bridge the way you want them and see if it works.
AH
Amy_Howe
May 25, 2007
no, i totally understand. what i’m meaning to say is that i tried that in bridge…the association was already set to cs3…i even clicked it again and tried it. no dice.

sigh.

really appreciate any help anyone is offering. 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
May 25, 2007
what i’m meaning to say is that i tried that in bridge…

ah sorry. my misunderstanding…

lemmie look. a friend had a problem with associations just the other day… back in a sec…
AH
Amy_Howe
May 25, 2007
thank you so much dave!!
DM
dave_milbut
May 25, 2007
something here may help. check here:

<http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm>

OR here:

<http://windowsxp.mvps.org/openas.htm>
DM
dave_milbut
May 25, 2007
thank you so much dave!!

you’re welcome. just trying to help – don’t know if those will help or not though. good luck!

dave
AH
Amy_Howe
May 25, 2007
ahh crud..didn’t work.

🙁
AH
Amy_Howe
May 25, 2007
fixed it!

here is what i did:

-add both suggested reg files (see links provided by dave above) to your registry -open control panel, performance/maint, file types
-find the file types (jpg, jpeg, etc) and click advanced -highlight "open" and click edit
-where it says "application to use to perform action" click browse -find the photoshop.exe file and double click
-click ok and you should be good to go

tried this exact fix yesterday and it did not work. i think it was the registry fixes that finally did the trick.

THANKS dave for your help! i really appreciate it! 🙂
DM
dave_milbut
May 25, 2007
no problem amy! whoo hoo! i got worried when i read the post above your latest. way to stick with it! glad it’s fixed.

cheers, dave
JJ
John_Joslin
May 25, 2007
Having sorted this problem with varying success for myself and others, I have finally devised a foolproof method of getting things how I want them as far as file associations are concerned.

It does not involve any Registry changes on my system although I did know about those links!

I will write down the procedure (which is far from intuitive) and post it.

What I have achieved is to have JPG, GIF and TIF files open in Windows and Fax Viewer (because I don’t want to fire up Photoshop every time I want to look at an image full screen size) but edit in PS CS3.
JJ
John_Joslin
May 25, 2007
I guess Adobe couldn’t be bothered to get the Bridge file associations to apply system-wide because they didn’t want the hassle of fitting in with the mixed up Windows code!
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 26, 2007
John said, "What I have achieved is to have JPG, GIF and TIF files open in Windows and Fax Viewer (because I don’t want to fire up Photoshop every time I want to look at an image full screen size) but edit in PS CS3."

I have my file associations set the same way.

And the last thing I need or want is to have Adobe software mucking about with Windows file associations without my specific knowledge.
G
grizzlyak
Jul 10, 2007
I’ve been having the same problems since installing CS3 Design Premium, but only with JPEGs. They all opened with Fax Viewer. What works for me is to default open to PS, and then use Open With… when I just want a quick view with Fax View.

I used Amy’s approach above, but DID NOT use the registry entries. I went to Control Panel, Folder Options, File Types tab, found JPG and chose Advanced. In my case, there was no Open listed, so I chose NEW and typed in OPEN, then browsed to Photoshop.exe. That was it! For JPEG, there was already a Open and Printto (and no Advance button, but a RESTORE button). so I just chose Restore, then edited the Open and Printto and browsed to Photoshop again, and it seems to be working.

Woo hoo! Gotta love these forums. Just wish Adobe would also read them and learn something. I first tried to resinstall PS from the CS3 DVD and after many minutes, I was informed that it was UNABLE TO. Geez, why can’t Adobe put some effort into their install programs. Back when I tried to load the CS2 upgrade, the install program wouldn’t read the CS disk 1 from a CD drive (rememeber? that was all over this forum). I had to create a ISO image, create a virtual CD, in order to install a $1,000 program. Makes you wonder…

Thanks for the help. Hope this helps someone else…

Cheers,
Griz

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections