How do I clip out only a part of a picture, while retaining the background?

MH
Posted By
Mike_H.
Sep 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For example, let’s say I have a picture of a girl on a horse. It is for the cover of a magazine. But the picture is proportioned to where a masthead would cover up her head. How do I do that effect where I can clip out her head and shoulders so that it will show up on the top over the text, while still retaining the entire background? So it will basicaly look like her head covers up part of the text. And can I do that so that I can export it into a layout program like Quark and it will retain that setting?

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JM
J_Maloney
Sep 30, 2008
This used to be done with a clipping path. You create a path using the pen tool that traces the head, save the path, and in the path panel flyout menu make it a clipping path. Then Quark can apply the clipping path to one image above the masthead, and not apply it to another copy below.

You can also make her head a second layer (duplicate), using a path cutout, marquee tool, etc., and use layer visibility options (in Indesign, not sure about Quark) to get the head on top of the masthead. You could manage this without layer options using two images (one the girl and horse, another just her head), but this would not be preferred because of version control problems, last minute color corrections, etc.

J
MH
Mike_H.
Sep 30, 2008
When you say "save the path," do you just mean save the photo as a different file? Does that retain the background of the photo?

So let me make sure I understand this. I create a new path and then use the pen tool to clip out her head (making sure I completely close the path). Then I make sure the path is listed as a clipping path.

But when I tried that, and then imported it, I ended up getting just her head….and none of the backgroun photo behind it.

Again…I appreciate your help!
JM
J_Maloney
Sep 30, 2008
You’ll need to play with the path options in Quark or Indesign. In Indesign you click the object, then go to Object menu… clipping path… path options. For Quark, see how to do it here < http://www.quark.com/service/desktop/support/techinfo/view.j sp?faq_id=232>.

Indesign warns against overriding clipping path options in an EPS. Maybe someone can speak to that (or course that’s really a question for the Indesign forums).

J
MH
Mike_H.
Sep 30, 2008
Thanks for the Quark link.

I noticed that it was written for Quark 4.x users. I am on one of the latest editions, 7.x. I’m assuming that it would work on this newer version as well?
B
Buko
Sep 30, 2008
I do this all in Photoshop.

using the marquee tool copy the part of the image that will go over the logo/title.

with title on the layer above the background paste the head over the title/logo on a third layer.

now clean up around the head.

Save a PDF to keep Type and vector objects vector.

I know this will work in ID possibly in the new Quarks.
MH
Mike_H.
Oct 2, 2008
What technique do you use to "clean up around the head" once you have pasted the new layer on?

Thanks!
P
Phosphor
Oct 3, 2008
Links leading to lots of good info about isolation and masking can be found at the following thread, Mike.

Could be just what the doctor ordered:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bb80e5d>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections