How to make clipping masks after creating layers?

HG
Posted By
hungry_ghost
Dec 13, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When applying a new adjustment layer, if you don’t check the "use previous layer to create clipping mask" option, is there a way to go back and enable this after you’ve created the layer?

Sometimes I spend a while making adjustments, and then later down the road want to apply it to the layer beneath only. I get around it by saving the adjustments, creating a new layer and loading them up, but is there a way to apply a clipping mask after the event, so to speak? Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

SF
Scott_Falkner
Dec 13, 2006
Command-click on a layer to make it a selection, then click on the Add Layer Mask icon in the Layers palette to make that selection a mask for the highlighted layer.
HG
hungry_ghost
Dec 13, 2006
Thanks – what i wanted to do though is make a previously created adjustment layer apply ONLY to the layer beneath.

You can do this when you first make the layer, by checking the "use previous layer to create clipping mask" box. But I can’t see a way to do this afterwards, and then the adjustment layer naturally affects ALL layers below it.
B
Bernie
Dec 13, 2006
option-click on the line between the tow layers
HG
hungry_ghost
Dec 13, 2006
Great! Was really bugging me, thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections