CS4: how do I make an adjustment layer ONLY AFFECT ONE other layer?

MS
Posted By
Michael_Strickland1
Jan 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I make an adjustment layer in CS4 Photoshop only affect ONE other layer, instead of EVERY layer underneath it? (Group doesn’t work for this, and I can’t seem to find an answer in the Photoshop Help files.)

Thanks for any help.

Michael

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MS
Michael_Strickland1
Jan 2, 2009
OK, I finally found this in the CS4 Photoshop Help Files:

"To confine the effects of an adjustment layer to a group of layers, create a clipping mask consisting of those layers. You can place the adjustment layers in or at the base of the clipping mask. The resulting adjustment is confined to the layers inside the group. (Alternatively, you can create a layer group that uses any blending mode other than Pass Through.)"

But … There is no way to create a "Clipping Mask" with more than one layer. So this makes no sense to me, and is of no help. 🙁

Also … changing the Blending Mode of a group of layers to anything other than Pass Through fails to accomplish what the Help file says it should. 🙁

And … logically, I see NO REASON to create a clipping mask when I don’t wish to clip anything. So is this simply one of those "upgrades" that is a downgrade in reality? Adobe software used to be so intuitive … what happened?

So far, I am not finding a way to accomplish limiting the effects of an adjustment layer to only SOME of the layers below it in my document. 🙁

Thanks for any help.

Michael
R
randalqueen
Jan 2, 2009
Sounds to me like you need to create a folder to contain a group of layers including the adjustment layers and the layer you are adjusting.

Then it sounds like you can continue to let some of the adjustment layers pass through the group and down. The clipping sounds like a case where it is not a full frame item. Otherwise, it wouldn’t necessarily need to limit which layers are effected.

Now, if you have a background and a background copy which is not set to 100% either fill or opacity and want the adjustment layers to only work with that semi-transparent layer and not the bottom image or background, then try to group all the layers but the background and see what happens. Not near a place I can test this right now.

Let us know…
R
randalqueen
Jan 2, 2009
Oh, and there is a way to give all the adjustment layers in the group the same clipping mask via copy paste for the mask only.
GB
g_ballard
Jan 2, 2009
with the Adjustment Layer directly above the target layer

Option+Click directly on the line between the two Layers in the Layers Pallet (if this is what you are trying to accomplish)

+++++++

another way

I generally Command+Click on the layer icon in the Layers Pallet (to select all pixels on that layer)

then make an Adj Layer (it has a cookie-cut using this method)

also, Com+Shift on another Layer icon will add to the selection

likewise, Com+Opt on another Layer icon will minus those pixels

then once you have the desired selection, make your Adj Layer…
R
randalqueen
Jan 2, 2009
See towards the bottom of this page

<http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=484706>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections