is there an easy way to make a layer mask from text?

F
Posted By
Falco98
Apr 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Layer masks seem easy enough to make from other shape tools, but whenever I attempt to make one from text, it goes into a new layer (or the existing text layer if there is one), no matter what I do. And i find it cumbersome to have to fake a selection in a different layer from my text, then use that as the mask — is there a sensible or direct way? or what am i missing?
thanks..
~Mike

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

HL
Harry Limey
Apr 27, 2006
"Falco98" wrote in message
Layer masks seem easy enough to make from other shape tools, but whenever I attempt to make one from text, it goes into a new layer (or the existing text layer if there is one), no matter what I do. And i find it cumbersome to have to fake a selection in a different layer from my text, then use that as the mask — is there a sensible or direct way? or what am i missing?
thanks..
~Mike

Not sure what you want to do? are you using the Horizontal or Vertical ‘type mask tool’ to create the text?
E
edjh
Apr 27, 2006
Falco98 wrote:
thanks..
~Mike

Ctrl-click (Command-click on Mac) on the type layer in the Layers palette to get an active selection. Then go to whatever layer you want the LM on and click the mask icon on the bottom of the Layers palette.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections