BP
Posted By
Bruce_Palmer
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello. I’m trying to use the blue color channel (a greyscale image) to mask a gradient in a layer. I’ve tried just about everything but don’t see a way to do this. Any ideas? Thanks for any replies.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PF
Peter_Figen
Mar 1, 2004
Make your layer mask, ctr click on the blue channel to load it’s selection and then fill with black while having the layer mask active.
BP
Bruce_Palmer
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks for the response, Peter. This works partly, in that the selection boundry looks like mid grey (128??) but what I’m trying to do is have a true grey scale mask, not a black and white mask. Thanks again.

Bruce
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Mar 1, 2004
Bruce,

What Peter is describing is exactly the way to do what you describe and results in a grayscale mask.

Mathias
CW
Colin_Walls
Mar 1, 2004
To improve just a bit on Peter’s [accurate] answer …

Do the CTRL-click on the blue channel first, then make the mask, which will then automatically take up the selection.
BP
Bruce_Palmer
Mar 1, 2004
Yes! It works! Thank you all.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections