Hue shift when saving as web JPG on LCD…

FM
Posted By
Frank McMahon
Sep 13, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just got a new Viewsonic VX900 (stunning monitor!!) and now working in Photoshop I see slight color shifts between InDesign, PDF and most importantly, exporting to a web graphic using Save for Web.

For example I did some posters which are tinted completely blue and when I shrink and save for web, the JPG preview color in Save for Web has shifted. I have the color preview set for Monitor RGB, which is probably wrong. Should it be on Proof Colors? CMYK preview? Do I need to adjust the program to compensate for the LCD? Or for this specific model? Also how do I set the program to use the same color settings all the time?

Any help would be great. I do a lot of photo work and web stuff, and also press work, but mainly photo. I’ve yet to get a complete color hardware/software solution, like to see if I can just get by with tweaking the settings.

Thanks!

Frank
<http://www.franklinmcmahon.com>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 13, 2003
Frank,

The isssue is color management, and all color management begins with a good monitor profile. Run Adobe Gamma from the control panel and create a new monitor profile. You may have limited success since LCD’s are very difficult to calibrate.

Photoshop is a color managed application, the web is not. What that means is, photoshop is embedding a profile in your image so that it displays properly – what red is red? Since the web is not color managed, when you use Save For Web, that profile is stripped from the file. If you are seeing a shift, it simply means that your image is either using the wrong color space or you need to create a better/new monitor profile.

In Edit|Color settings.. you choose the color space for the image. Each color space has a unique gamut, or range of colors it is capable of outputting. For most injet print work one might use Adobe RGB 1998 color space. This has a different gamut than sRGB, which is what you would use for images destined for computer monitors only, without necessarily caring about print output.

So the color space you choose has an impact on the profile, and thus how the image will be output. One chooses a color space, in general, for the destination. If you have a color space of sRGB and a properly calibrated monitor, you should see little or no difference when using SFW.

Using "Monitor" to soft proof your image is good for web work, but again, if you are using an sRGB color space and a calibrated monitor, it shouldn’t show a difference at all.

There is excellent information that takes about 15 minutes to read at Ian Lyons’ most excellent site:

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm>

Peace,
Tony
FM
Frank McMahon
Sep 13, 2003
Tony,

Thanks for all the info. I will read the link and go through your comments. One quick thing I just did on your suggestion was go into color settings and I was surprised to find a listing for my montitor VX900-2, so I selected it. Now when I save to web there is no color shift. So that problem is solved, thanks! I still need to educate myself on color matching, a vexing topic I know. Thanks for the head start!

Frank

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections