LM
Posted By
Lynnea_M._Kleinschmidt
Nov 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I had CS3 I would be able to open a RAW image in Photoshop with the ProPhoto RGB color space. I would then change the color space as needed.

In CS4, I am using the 64-bit version, and there is a color shift when I open a RAW image in Photoshop with ProPhoto color space. The color is desaturated.

There is no color sift when I open the same image using Adobe RGB.

Why is this happening?

Lynnea

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Nov 24, 2008
Lynnea,

Check if your workspace is also ProphotoRGB (in Edit > Color Settings).

Rob
F
Freeagent
Nov 24, 2008
Proof Colors checked? (ctrl+Y)
LM
Lynnea_M._Kleinschmidt
Nov 24, 2008
There is a color shift when the Photoshop color space is set as ProPhoto (Edit>Color Settings) and the RAW color space to open in Photoshop is set as ProPhoto.

There is no color shift if RAW color space is Adobe RGB and the Photoshop is set with ProPhoto (Edit>Color Settings).

But, when I save the image, the color space in file information as seen in Bridge is Adobe RGB.

Could this be connected to GPU and "Move Color Matching to the GPU?" I have seen comments concerning GPU and color sifts, but I don’t really understand them.

It is frustrating since I do calibrate my monitor and have seen some of the images in both CS3 and now CS4 and thus can see the difference.

LYnnea
F
Freeagent
Nov 24, 2008
Could this be connected to GPU and "Move Color Matching to the GPU?"

Could be. What do the "advanced OpenGL" options in Preferences > performance say? Comments by PS engineer Chris Cox indicate that on-screen conversion is indeed moved to the GPU.

Just to have it out of the way: this would happen if you have "Proof Colors" (with "preserve RGB numbers") checked and set for Adobe RGB.

But what I don’t understand is why it still says "Adobe RGB" in Bridge.
F
Freeagent
Nov 24, 2008
Aside from the GPU thing (and you can try turning it off altogether), the only other way I can see this happening is if Photoshop somehow assigns AdobeRGB to the image. But no matter what weird things I do to my color settings I just can’t make that happen all by itself.

As a shot in the dark, try to reset your preferences by holding ctrl+alt+shift when launching.
LM
Lynnea_M._Kleinschmidt
Dec 2, 2008
Here is what fixed the problem. I checked the box for Color Matching in GL Settings.

So, now I have Camera Raw opening with ProPhoto, Photoshop has ProPhoto as the color space, and the colors of the images look fine.

Thanks for the advice.

Lynnea

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections