J
Posted By
Jason
Mar 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I Save For Web, no matter which output filetype I choose, the resulting image is a bit darker than the original and the colors are a bit more saturated. Is this expected behavior? Are there adjustments I can do that "fix" this?

Jason

reverse my name in email address

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

K
KatWoman
Mar 12, 2006
"Jason" wrote in message
When I Save For Web, no matter which output filetype I choose, the resulting image is a bit darker than the original and the colors are a bit more saturated. Is this expected behavior? Are there adjustments I can do that "fix" this?

Jason

Image ready uses sRGB space
either preview the image while still in PS and adjust to your taste or change the color space in PS to sRGB for everything.
BH
Bill Hilton
Mar 12, 2006
Jason writes …

This is caused by one of two things (or a combination). First, I always run Image – Mode – Convert to Profile and convert a copy to sRGB before running Save for Web. If you have saturated colors, especially reds, you’ll see a color shift if you don’t do this first. If you’re already using sRGB then you won’t see a problem, but the wider the gamut of your working space the more likely you are to see this (ie, ProPhoto will be worse than AdobeRGB).

Second, Save for Web doesn’t use the monitor profile … you can verify if this is your problem by looking at the starting file in Photoshop and doing View – Proof setup – Monitor RGB and toggling this on/off with cntrl-z … if you see the image going darker when you do this then that’s your problem. You may have an inaccurate monitor profile in which case you might want to generate a new one.

Typically if you convert to sRGB first and have an accurate monitor profile you won’t see much of a shift when you generate jpegs using Save for Web.

Bill
N
nomail
Mar 12, 2006
Bill Hilton wrote:

Jason writes …

This is caused by one of two things (or a combination). First, I always run Image – Mode – Convert to Profile and convert a copy to sRGB before running Save for Web.

In case you use Photoshop CS2 and you wonder why you can’t find that menu: it’s now ‘Edit – Convert to Profile’.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl
J
Jason
Mar 13, 2006
In article ,
says…
Jason writes …

This is caused by one of two things (or a combination). First, I always run Image – Mode – Convert to Profile and convert a copy to sRGB before running Save for Web.

A good tip. Thanks!

Second, Save for Web doesn’t use the monitor profile..

-snip –

if you see the image going darker when you do this
then that’s your problem.

Bingo!

J
Jason
Mar 13, 2006
In article <1hc3zeu.iy9z301aep38sN%>,
says…

In case you use Photoshop CS2 and you wonder why you can’t find that menu: it’s now ‘Edit – Convert to Profile’.
Thanks Johan – I’d already "lost" it and found it in CS2 🙂 —
TA
Timo Autiokari
Mar 13, 2006
Jason wrote:

It is a well known problem due to the sadRGB profile.

Convert the images to nativePC profile before saving for web, you can find it here: http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/download/aim_profiles.zip

The nativePC profile is far more accurate approximation for the monitors than the sadRGB.

Timo Autiokari
J
Jason
Mar 13, 2006
Thanks all for your help. I thought I had PS color management figured out pretty well – I can print images that look correct, have a well- calibrated monitor and understand the flow settings & steps necessary to have it work correctly. My Save For Web problems were new simply because I hadn’t used it before – never had needed to. That changed when my wife asked me recently to prepare some images for her music composition website. Live & learn. (or not…)

Jason

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections