S
Posted By
ssnazzy9
Nov 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just got a new camera (Nikon D50 DSLR), use PSE 3 and a Canon i960 printer. The camera is settable for sRGB III, sRGB Ia or Adobe RGB. I have been trying to learn something about color management, and so far all I have gotten is confused. (The manufacturer’s could make it easier if they just tried). I use an LCD monitor and do not have any equipment to calibrate my monitor. My question is – is there a benefit to changing the default on the camera to Adobe RGB, and if I do, what (if anything) do I change in Elements? Is there a profile available for a Canon i960? Basically, what are the basic steps one should take in starting on this path to attempt to get everything in sync color wise?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RG
Roy G
Nov 7, 2005
wrote in message
I just got a new camera (Nikon D50 DSLR), use PSE 3 and a Canon i960 printer. The camera is settable for sRGB III, sRGB Ia or Adobe RGB. I have been trying to learn something about color management, and so far all I have gotten is confused. (The manufacturer’s could make it easier if they just tried). I use an LCD monitor and do not have any equipment to calibrate my monitor. My question is – is there a benefit to changing the default on the camera to Adobe RGB, and if I do, what (if anything) do I change in Elements? Is there a profile available for a Canon i960? Basically, what are the basic steps one should take in starting on this path to attempt to get everything in sync color wise?

Hi there.

If you can not Calibrate your Display, then you are never going to be able to Colour Manage.

You need to know that the colours you see on Screen are accurate. If you are prepared to accept that your screen colours may be wrong, and can try to live with that, then Elements can Colour Manage from your Camera Profile to your Printer.

Go to "Print with Preview" then to the CM Tab. Source Space will be whichever Space you have selected in the Camera, (Adobe RGB ?), and in the Print Space select "Management by Printer".

Elements will then allow your Printer to select the Profile for whichever Paper you have selected in the Media selection.

The Print may be accurate compared to the original scene, but will probably be different from what is on screen.

That’s the best you can do until you get a display which can be calibrated.

Roy G
N
neon
Nov 7, 2005
wrote:
IMO – use adobe rgb…it’s the widest color gamut of the 3. you can always convert to another space when appropriate. color management is complicated so keep on reading…it takes time. there’s lots of good info out there. you definitely need to work with a correctly calibrated monitor and other i/o devices. invest in color calibration hardware, especially when using an lcd. check the canon website for printer profiles. they should be available for your printer/paper. and if you’re serious about getting the best color managed system move up to photoshop…elements is really pretty lame.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections