DE
Posted By
Durwood_Edwards
Oct 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When printing from Photoshop CS2 on my Epson R800, I have chosen to let PS manage colors, and selected the R800 profile in the PS CS2 dialogue box. When I get to the printer dialogue box, I have selected ICM from the advanced screen and then turned off the Epson profiles.

I find that I am seeing two problems.

1. The print always comes out far darker in PS CS2 than when I print the same picture from ANY OTHER program (including Elements 3.0) and far darker than on my screen. I can save the picture and then open using another program and it prints fine! Other programs faithfully reproduce what I am seeing on my monitor which I have calibrated numerous times with Adobe Gamma and almost never get any variation in settings when I recalibrate, so I am assuming that I am doing that part consistently.

2. When printing B&W, the first print comes out as nice grayscale (although darker than on screen). Subsequent prints of the same image (with no changes) will have a strong color cast to them as if the image has been tinted. Most frequently it is a magenta tint.

Thanks

Durwood

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
brent bertram
Oct 31, 2005
"R800 profile in the PS CS2 dialogue box" . Are you selecting an SPR800 media profile or are you selecting "Stylus Photo R800" ? The latter choice "Stylus Photo R800" is just the generic R800 profile, and is probably less useful than the printer color management option.

You should be using a media specific profile like "SPR800 Photo Paper (G) with the appropriate paper, and "No Color Management" in the Epson Advanced driver.

If you don’t get decent prints then, I’d be wondering about clogged nozzles, etc.

😕

Brent
DE
Durwood_Edwards
Oct 31, 2005
Thanks,
I have been using the generic. I will look for the appropriate paper profile. I have the No Color management box selected in the Epson Advanced.

The photos are of good quality with no indication of any nozzle problem and the same file will print just perfectly in any other program, so the printer (pretty new) is in excellent shape. It is just the density and the strange colorcast that occurs that plagues me. But maybe you have pointed me in the right direction.

THANKS!
BB
brent bertram
Oct 31, 2005
I hope so, Durwood.

If you read Ian Lyons’ old essays on printing ( Photoshop 6, for example ) at <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/> , you’d find using the generic profile ( with the Windows color Engine ) about the 3d best option. Roughly equivalent to "printer color management", with the appropriate drive settins. That’s history, of course.

By far the best option is using actual inkset/media profiles.

🙂
DE
Durwood_Edwards
Nov 1, 2005
I am quite a PS newby so I haven’t been immersed in the great body of technical literature, yet.

Changing to the paper type fixed the problem and grayscales now print a lovely range of gray!

THANKS TO ALL

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections