Convert B&W photos to shades of one color instead of gray?

B
Posted By
Bill
May 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is a good way to convert a photo to shades of a single color? I’ve looked and found a couple ways to change the color, but it is difficult to get the color I want (for example cyan and magenta are easy by adjusting the r,g,b values).

If I ‘remove color’, I get a black and white photo with shades of gray. Now, suppose I want to publish on a web page that has an orange theme or green theme (top banner or sidebar or something). How do I change all those shades of gray to shades of orange or shades of green? Basically, I’m changing the black to a specific color and I want all the gray tones to scale between white and the color I choose.

Thanks!

-Bill

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JM
Joseph Meehan
May 25, 2005
Bill wrote:
What is a good way to convert a photo to shades of a single color? I’ve looked and found a couple ways to change the color, but it is difficult to get the color I want (for example cyan and magenta are easy by adjusting the r,g,b values).

If I ‘remove color’, I get a black and white photo with shades of gray. Now, suppose I want to publish on a web page that has an orange theme or green theme (top banner or sidebar or something). How do I change all those shades of gray to shades of orange or shades of green? Basically, I’m changing the black to a specific color and I want all the gray tones to scale between white and the color I choose.
Thanks!

-Bill

This may not be the best but it will work. Load the photo, change it it a gray scale and save it.(I suggest save as a new name) then change it back to a RGB color and then adjust hue and saturation to what you want.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
B
Bill
May 25, 2005
Thanks Joseph,

That’s pretty much what I’ve been doing, but it is rather trial and error. It seems like there should be a more systematic approach given that I have a specific RGB color that I’m trying to match.

Anyone other suggestions

-Bill

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

Thanks!

-Bill

This may not be the best but it will work. Load the photo, change it it a gray scale and save it.(I suggest save as a new name) then change it back to a RGB color and then adjust hue and saturation to what you want.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections