W
Posted By
whburling
Sep 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t convert my grayscale multi-layered image to color without being forced to merge or flatten layers.

It seems to me that my quest to include color information on one layer (i would even accept being forced into making color information for all layers) without being forced to merge or flatten all the layers in my image…… should be possible as the link between layers need only to be pixel address.

The complexity of each pixel on each layer should be totally independent of any other layer. all
that is really required is that the program understands which pixel aligns with which pixel on each layer.

anyway…..i can’t seem to figure a way to change my grayscale lines in one layer to colored lines in that same layer without being forced to merge or flatten layers.

Thank you for any insight you can offer.

Bil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Sep 3, 2005
Dnia 3 Sep 2005 06:05:54 -0700, napisał(a):

I can’t convert my grayscale multi-layered image to color without being forced to merge or flatten layers.

Don’t you have some adjustment layers in your file?
E
edjh
Sep 3, 2005
wrote:

It seems to me that my quest to include color information on one layer (i would even accept being forced into making color information for all layers) without being forced to merge or flatten all the layers in my image…… should be possible as the link between layers need only to be pixel address.

The complexity of each pixel on each layer should be totally independent of any other layer. all
that is really required is that the program understands which pixel aligns with which pixel on each layer.

anyway…..i can’t seem to figure a way to change my grayscale lines in one layer to colored lines in that same layer without being forced to merge or flatten layers.

Bil
Don’t you get a dialog asking whether or not you want to flatten? You should. What version are you using?

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
T
Tacit
Sep 3, 2005
In article ,
wrote:

I convert between grayscale, RGB color, and CMYK color all the time without being forced to flatten. I am asked if I WANT to flatten, but I can always choose "don’t flatten."

When you convert, what exactly does the dialog box say?

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
J
jenelisepasceci
Sep 5, 2005
wrote:

There are some adjustment layers which do not work in monochrome. Create a monochrome image, try to add an adjustment layer and you will see which of them are unavailable. If you make use of these in your image, you cannot convert without flattening. Try the following instead: put a white (or grey, or black) layer on top and set it’s blending mode to monochrome. Or use a channel mixer layer set to monochrome output. Either approach will result in a "greyscale" image which retains all layers.

Peter
E
edjh
Sep 7, 2005
tacit wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

I convert between grayscale, RGB color, and CMYK color all the time without being forced to flatten. I am asked if I WANT to flatten, but I can always choose "don’t flatten."

When you convert, what exactly does the dialog box say?
I’m thinking he may have ticked the box that says "Don’t show again" which IMHO is a bad idea. Get it back by hitting "Reset All Warnings" in Preferences.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections