JB
Posted By
Julie_Bar
Apr 20, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to simulate on screen the way a b&w photo would look if it were printed out on colored paper. Any ideas? Basically, I need to make the white & grays in the photo transparent, without affecting the look of the blacks. I have tried putting a transparent layer of color over the photo, but it is not an accurate representation. Help please……thanks. Julie

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
Ho
Apr 20, 2005
try the blending modes (multiply, etc)
JB
Julie_Bar
Apr 20, 2005
OK. I am really not too familiar with these, but I tried a few. They seem to affect the blacks also – am I doing this correctly?
D
deebs
Apr 20, 2005
Try:
1 – Image > Mode > Grayscale > OK

2 – Image > Mode > Duotone and then discover

You may wish to see what tri- and quadtones do too

I think, maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you can always go

Image > Mode RGB once everything is spot on just in case the printer has indigestion with some of the settings.

It will be fun to try and super-groovy if you let us know how it goes
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 20, 2005
Try Duotone.

Select Black as one colour and your choice of hue as the other.

Chris

Edit: Sorry Deebs. I really must start reading your posts through to the end!

Go on. Do a Dave Milbut on us "Nobody ever reads Post Three"!!
D
deebs
Apr 20, 2005
Chris – nobody ever reads post #4 🙂

Julie: some duotones are ‘pre-mixed’ I think you can make your own particular blend if you wish

Woodja like to post a link to your artwork?

www.pixentral.com is a groovy buffer and will retain your image for 30 days or so
JB
Julie_Bar
Apr 20, 2005
I actually cannot post the image – it is for a client of ours and there are copywrite issues.

I tried the duotone thing already and it does not give the effect I need. I know I am being picky about it but we are trying to replicate what the actual piece will look like after being printed. The closest I have been able to come to it is by putting a colored layer behind the photo, making the photo about 60% translucent and going into the levels and boosting the black back into it. It is really not the way I would like to go about doing it, but seems to give a "kind-of" representation.

Thanks for the suggestions….any others?
D
deebs
Apr 20, 2005
Aha – it sounds like a job for PowerPoint!
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 20, 2005
Aha – it sounds like a job for PowerPoint!

Huh!?
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 20, 2005
Julie. I think Ho probably put you on the right track in Post #1 (which we know nobody ever reads!)

You replied:

I am really not too familiar with these, but I tried a few. They seem to affect the blacks also – am I doing this correctly?

Blending modes are something you really need to experiment with. The effect can often be image dependent.

However, in the scenario you have put forward here, try this:

Add a layer containing a fill of the colour you require, then set the blending mode to Darken. This would apply a wash of colour to the lighter areas of the image. Then adjust the opacity of the colour layer to arrive at the correct amount of tint in the whites and greys.

Hope this helps.

Chris.
SA
sm_adelhoff
Apr 21, 2005
gradient map?

If you print b/w on let’s say yellow paper, white becones yellow, black becomes black. So a gradient from yellow -> black might yield the result

Sven
JB
Julie_Bar
Apr 21, 2005
Sven! You hit the nail on the head! That is exactly the effect I am looking for! I will try these suggestions and let you know. Thanks to you too Chris!….By the way…Powerpoint??? Julie
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Apr 21, 2005
Julie – the best answer is probably given in Post 1.

Make a solid background of your paper color. Then set your original black and white image (the "ink" layer) to Multipy blend mode. This layer sits on top of your paper background.

There’s nothing wrong with the other suggestions – its just that this method is more easily editable and simulates the traditional way of doing things.
PP
Philip_Peterson
Apr 21, 2005
I don’t suppose you have a copy of illustrator around?

Illustrator has a built in "simulate colored paper" display feature.
D
deebs
Apr 21, 2005
Try adjusting Fill and Opacity levels too.

It doesn’t seem to matter too much if the new layer with fill color as required sits above or below the image

PowerPoint? 8)
JB
Julie_Bar
Apr 21, 2005
Philip – yes I do have Illustrator (actually a newer version than Photoshop.) Have you had success with this feature? And, can I use it with photos that have been placed in from Photoshop? That would be great!
PP
Philip_Peterson
Apr 21, 2005
I don’t print on colored paper, so I’ve just played with it out of idle curosity. But it does seem to do exactly what you want (i.e. making your monitor emulate printing on colored paper)

See the following thread:

Philip Peterson, "Shape color and background Color." #3, 28 Jan 2005 7:27 am </cgi-bin/webx?13/2>

or ask for further help if you need it.
JB
Julie_Bar
Apr 21, 2005
This is actually pretty cool, but unfortunately, not doing what I need. I am working in Illustrator to lay text, logos, etc., but the photos are giving me the problem. I have already done what your other suggestion read – laying a box with a fill in a color and moving it to the background. Text & logos are fine, but when I place the photos (in b&w) the whites in the photo are still white and not "blue" which is my selected background fill. Understand? Since the photo is created (actually it is a tif) in Photoshop, I will probably have to adjust it in there. Thanks, though.
PP
Philip_Peterson
Apr 21, 2005
Not so. I placed a photo and it came up with the tint from the colored paper.

Did you do the following:

1) File>Document setup

2) Choose transparency from the drop down window at the top of the box (the other choices being artboard & type)

3) Check the "simulate colored paper" box

4) Change the color of the top square to the color of your colored paper.

Unless I misunderstood you…
JB
Julie_Bar
Apr 22, 2005
Philip – YES! You are correct. I was trying to use the file I had already been working with and it did not create this effect with the photo. But, when I opened a new document and placed the same photo, it worked! I guess you have to re-place the phot back onto the page (I did not do that in my 1st attempt.) This is great! Thank you so much! Julie
PP
Philip_Peterson
Apr 25, 2005
Groovy. You’d think they would have this sort of preview feature in photoshop as well.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections