Posted By
Chris_R_Hayes
Aug 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello.
I have an image of a face that I wish to extract wrinkles and other facial "landmarks" from. What I was hoping to be able to do is take the image, manually edit it a bit, remove color so it’s gray scale only, and then have anything that’s not completely black made transparent based on how light it is. The closer to white something is, the more transparent it would be (pure white being completely transparent. Black being black, and not transparent). Does Elements provide a means of doing something like this?

Many thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Aug 23, 2004
I have no idea how to answer this but it seems to have been missed so I’m just pushing it back near the top so that maybe someone can.
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 23, 2004
Chris,

Here’s one way…

Following your work flow, after you have converted the image to grayscale, create a new document by doing Select All, Copy Merged, then File – New from clipboard.

On the new document, create a Solid Color adjustment layer filled with pure black above your image layer. In the layers palette, hold ALT and click on the layer mask (the white box) for the new color layer. Your image will turn white because you’re now viewing the mask.

Paste to place a copy of the merged image from the clipboard onto the mask. You’ll see the b/w picture.

Image – Adjustments – Invert to turn the b/w picture to a negative.

ALT-click on the layer mask to view the image.

Click the eyeball icon in the layers palette for the bottom layer to turn off its visibility, and you’ll see your solid black layer now has transparency corresponding to the light areas of your original image. Because a layer mask obscures where it is black, inverting the image on the mask causes it to reverse the spectrum so that you’ll get transparency where you originally had white.

You can now create a merged copy of this semi-transparent color layer to use as you wish within your documents… as an overlay or in a clipping group, for example (depending on your usage, you might need to re-invert the layer mask to make it look right). Be prepared to go back over the process a couple of times to adjust the contrast or brightness of your original grayscale so that you end up with a pleasing result at the end.

HTH,

Byron
CR
Chris_R_Hayes
Aug 23, 2004
Thanks, Byron.

I’m using Elements version 1.0. Does the process you describe possible with version 1.0?

I’m not following in the second paragraph:

< On the new document, create a Solid Color adjustment layer filled with pure black above your image layer. In the layers palette, hold ALT and click on the layer mask (the white box) for the new color layer. >

How does on create a "Solid Color adjustment" layer? Is that the same as the layer "mode" being "Color"? Also, I don’t see a layer mask button (white box) on the layers palette. Where is it at exactly (Perhaps I’m looking at the wrong palette)?

Thanks.
CR
Chris_R_Hayes
Aug 23, 2004
Ooops. Nevermind. I figured it out.

Many thanks.
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 23, 2004
Chris,

I see that you figured it out already, but I’ll post anyway, in the event another reader has the same question.

My usage of the term "adjustment layer" was incorrect with regard to the Solid Color layer. It is properly termed a Fill Layer. You make one via the menu at Layer > New Fill Layer > Solid Color… or by clicking the black/white circle icon at the bottom of the Layers palette, and selecting Solid Color from the list.

The Layer Mask is depicted, by default, as a solid white image thumbnail in the Layers palette, to the right of the thumbnail of a Fill or Adjustment layer. When a layer has an associated mask, the mask controls the visibility of that layer. Where the mask is white, the layer is 100% visible – black is transparent, and shades of gray are proportionately translucent.

I hope it’s working out well for you.

Byron

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections