P
Posted By
Phosphor
Sep 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a .png file that I need to convert to .bmp OR .jpg. It is a single word of text with a white background. I need to enlarge the file slightly (from about 1.25 inches high to about 2 inches high) AND also the final image needs to be black and white only. (The original is black, white, and about 6 shades of gray.)

I would like suggestions about the best order of steps to take so that the lines of the final image are as smooth as possible – no jagged edges.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
Don McCahill
Sep 25, 2003
You are going to get jagged edges no matter what if the image is in black and white. The goal is just to minimize the effect.

I suggest being in rgb mode to make the size change, and getting the smoothest result possible. (Probably with bicubic interpolation, but also be sure to test nearest neighbor).

Then I would recommend changing the mode to bitmap (I think you still have to go through greyscale to get there). You will want to play with the settings in order to pick out the one that gives the best results.

I don’t know of any way to set a jpg to only two colors, so that format is out. You can set a gif to two colors, and doing so in Save for Web would be the easiest way to get where you want to go, if it gives you acceptable quality.

If you need the format to be jpg, you could save as gif, open and save as jpg (but I suspect that doing so might throw in some additional shades of grey).

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections