NG
Posted By
Nathan_Gutman
May 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to backup the catalog to a network drive which is mapped on my computer as Z:. The backup wizard does not show it. It only shows the logical drives on this computer. How can I backup to a network drive?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
SachinJain
May 25, 2005
I guess, it is possible to back up on network drive. I have a network drive F:\ mapped and it is shown in Burn/Backup window along with A:\ and C:\.

Please check that network drive is not disconnected.
NG
Nathan_Gutman
May 25, 2005
Can you tell more about your setup?
My network drive is connected. It shows up in every other software but not in Organizer.
NJ
Neil_Jorgensen
May 27, 2005
Your network drive may be connected, but has it been mapped to a drive letter?
NG
Nathan_Gutman
May 27, 2005
Yes, as I said in my original post it was mapped as Drive Z: it is visible and accessible from any other software but the Organizer.
Actually a folder on the networked computer was mapped as Z: and it works with everything but the organizer.
If you are backing up from the Organizer to a network drive what is your setup?
NJ
Neil_Jorgensen
May 27, 2005
The setup is a simple 2 PC network – the PC running Elements 3 runs XP, the other one rund Win98 SP2. A shared folder on the 98 machine is mapped to drive Z on the Xp machine. The Z:\ drive shows as a candidate destination for backups in Elements.
BB
brent bertram
May 27, 2005
Nathan,
Try accessing your mapped driver through Explorer before starting the Organizer. I’ve found that sometimes to be necessary, I also can backup the catalog to a shared resource. I’m using two XP systems.

🙂

Brent
NG
Nathan_Gutman
May 30, 2005
Thank you guys. I figured it out. The folder on my 98 machine was mapped as drive Z: on the XP machine but was not shared.
On the 98 machine I changed the property of that folder to "shared" and it showed up as a destination drive on PE3 on the XP machine.
I was thrown off because the windows backup utility could use it as it was. I need to understand the difference between mapped and shared drives. Thanks again for putting me on the right track.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections