RH
Posted By
robert_held
May 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I scanned a round clock but it is framed by the square lines of the scan boundary. How could I crop away this background beyond the round face of the clock? I could not ‘tame’ the elliptical crop boundary into a perfect circle… attempts with the magnetic lasso resulted in a ragged outline…

I would welcome suggestions

Robert Held

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LM
Lou_M
May 10, 2005
Robert,

You can hold down the Shift key (after clicking with the mouse first) to get your ellipse into a perfect circle.
C
Corey
May 10, 2005
Hold the SHFT key to constrain to a circle, and if you press the space bar you can reposition you selection. Another way is to find the center of the circle or image by pressing CTRL +T and dragging guides, one horizontal and one vertical and "snapping them to the center. The place your cursor on the center and press ALT+SHFT to create a circle from the center out.

Peadge 😉

wrote in message
Robert,

You can hold down the Shift key (after clicking with the mouse first) to
get your ellipse into a perfect circle.
CW
Colin_Walls
May 10, 2005
You can only crop to a rectangular shape, because all image files are that shape.

You can select any shape you want and Lou has told you how to get a circle. Additional info: hold down ALT too and the selection grows from the centre, which can be useful.

Having made the selection, you can copy/paste it [to somewhere] or invert the selection and delete the unwanted area. However, this will just fill it with the currently selected background colour. It i spossible to make this transparent, but that depends on a few things like what are you going to do with the image?
KS
Karin_Sue
May 10, 2005
How about using the magic wand to select the background, then delete it? This often works well if you have a uniform background.

Kari
RH
robert_held
May 10, 2005
Lou M hello,

Thanks for your advice – I just got back to the computer today and this taught me more than days of banging my head against the wall struggling with the elusive ellipse!!! Robert held
RH
robert_held
May 10, 2005
Karin Hello, thanks for your advice – foolishly i have never used the magic wand… live and learn FROM THE GOOD TEACHERS!!! Thanks again robert held
RH
robert_held
May 10, 2005
Colin hello,

Thanks for your copious list of good advice. I wanted to use this image of the clock as part of a ‘thank you’ note to my doctor whose alertness saved my life (sent me to a cardiologist whose stress test showed all five arteries clogged,within less than 24 hours a successful open heart surgery turned the tide…) The face of the clock shows "one minute before midnight" to symbolize how close it all was. Thus I want the card be picture perfect and I learned more from the three of you in one day than all the time I have PSE 2.)…
Yours Robert Held
LM
Lou_M
May 11, 2005
Glad it worked, Robert. Hope you’re feeling better!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections