Posted By
Ed_Nicholson
Apr 25, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Bob,
All I get when I open scanners and cameras is an "add device", another click and I get a install wizard. ??? I know that the 8400F is already installed.

Changed the 3.0 to 3.old

Still have the same situation.

Ed

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 25, 2005
Ed,

That’s a mystery. I’m assuming you’re running XP and don’t see how you could have a completely successful installation without an entry for the device in Control Panel. (Don’t no 2000 if that’s your OS.)

I just checked Canon’s Tech Support page to see if the 8400F had a different procedure than my D1250 U2F and their instructions are the same as above (though it’s a general FAQ using neither the 8400 nor 1250 as an example but head the page with 8400F). I searched FAQ’s for "event button" without the quotes. I think it might be time for a support call or email to Canon. Their tech support pages start here:

< http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportIndex Act>

(If you have a pop-up blocker active you won’t get very far.)

They do have some downloads available for the 8400. When I installed my 1250 the software was already out of date so I had to download several files to get it running correctly.

Just a thought: When you installed the scanner did you have everything on the systray stopped including any anti-virus or firewalls?

I’d really like to know how you make out.

Bob
EN
Ed_Nicholson
Apr 26, 2005
Bob, I do not recall that I de-energized any anti-virus or firewall. Unless someone tells me how, I don’t have a clue as to how one goes about that.

I run XP professional.

Ed
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 26, 2005
Ed,

You may be sorry you asked but here goes. 🙂

The easiest and safest way to get a clean install without anything running is to not let them load in the first place. The instructions from DeLorme below will accomplish that. I’m going to assume that whoever reads this has no knowledge in this area so please don’t be insulted if I get too basic. 🙂

Since we are dealing with Hardware and not just a software application the first step is to uninstall the 8400. If there are not clear instructions for uninstalling in your documentation they are on the web. Canon makes it almost impossible to give you a direct link so you will have to go through these steps to get them. Again, a pop up blocker may keep the site from working.

If you already have the instructions go to B. below but see the note at the end of A.

A. Go here and search for 8400F:

< http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportIndex Act>

Under Tech Support click Technical FAQs

In the pop up window click Search by Keyword

Enter the keyword uninstall and search.

In Search Results click on:

Deleting the driver using the supplied CD-ROM (ScanGear: 98/Me/2000/XP)

I would print the instructions. Follow all the steps including the restart.

NOTE: If the cd auto runs after restart click Exit.

B. Now go here for clean install instructions:

<http://www.delorme.com/support/installxp.asp>

(Obviously all references to Delorme software should be replaced with your Canon CD.)

Click where it says " Click here for a printer friendly page." and print the instructions.

Ignore the To Uninstall section.

Follow all of the instructions under To Install and, most important, steps 1 through 5 of After the Installation. Do not connect to the Internet at any time until you have completed the last steps since you will have no anti-virus or firewall protection.

Note: The instructions don’t mention that after the Restart in Step 6 of To Install you will get a Window titled System Configuration Utility. Just click OK. The System Configuration Utility window will open. Click OK again and continue. This will go away after you complete "After the Installation".

I know this is a lot of work but I follow clean install procedures religiously and have very few PC problems.

Bob

PS I have no relationship with DeLorme other than being an extremely satisfied customer for years. They are, without doubt, the Adobe of consumer US mapping and GPS navigation software.
EN
Ed_Nicholson
Apr 27, 2005
Thanks Bob, I’ll give it a whirl and let you know what happened. Ed
EN
Ed_Nicholson
Apr 29, 2005
Bob — I performed the uninstall/install process as you provided. No joy, I still have the scanner image attached to the PSE editor page when I open the image on my computer. The e-mail recipient does not receive ( gets the image only). At this point I think I’ll call it quits and live with the situation. Appreciate your help. I did learn a thing or two about installs. Ed
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Apr 29, 2005
Ed,

Just curious. Did your scanner show up in control panel?

Sorry I put you through a lot of work for nothing.

Bob
EN
Ed_Nicholson
May 1, 2005
Bob — no it didn’t make to the control panel. Now I have a real aggravating problem. I just went to open attached pics from an e-mail sent to me and PSE editor kicked in and the pic arrived in the editors work space. Also, I noted that the version I got was the 3.0 version and I have the 3.0.1 loaded (I verified). I have also noted that every time I see an attached photo that has a blue jpeg symbol I get the PSE editor when I double click on the symbol to open the photo.

I am getting close to uninstalling this software for good.

Ed
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 2, 2005
Ed,

Don’t give up yet. This is an easy one. During the install you have the option of which file types will be associated with Elements (for next time). You don’t need to reinstall to cure it now.

Try this first: Open Editor. Go to Edit, File Association and uncheck those file types that you don’t want to open in PE when you click them. Restart the PC. Find a jpg file in Explorer and double click it. If PE3 still loads do this:

Go back to Explorer and Right click a jpg file. Click "Open with" then click "Choose program". In the "Open with" Window that opens select (click) "Windows Picture and Fax viewer", check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and click OK. If you want to change other Picture file types repeat the procedure for one of each of those.

Bob
EN
Ed_Nicholson
May 2, 2005
Bob — the sweet smell of success. Not only did that little trick fix the e-mail pic problem, but it also corrected the original scanner problem!!! I unchecked the entire list. Which ones would you recommend that I keep checked?

Another problem though, I keep losing the 3.0.1 version. It was there yesterday, but when I opened PSE today all I had was 3.0 ??? I think this has happened before.

Thanks for your help on all this.

Ed
BH
Beth_Haney
May 2, 2005
You’re only going to see version 3.0.1 on the Organizer portion; the Editor is still 3.0. Might this be confusing you?

Can’t answer the other part, ’cause I run a Mac. 🙂
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 2, 2005
Ed,

Glad something finally worked for you plus a bonus on the scanner.

I have the 4 that start with Photoshop and JPEG 2000 checked to default to PE3 and all the rest to Win Pic and Fax Viewer. I’m stumped why that fixed the scanner but appreciate the info in case the problem comes up again.

To the best of my knowledge the 3.0.1 update only applies to changing the date format to something other than mm/dd/yyyy so I have not installed it. Beth is correct that it only shows up on the Organizer screen (I’ve been told).

Now you can start the fun part: Learning PE3. This forum and links passed on here taught me almost everything I know about Photo Editing so don’t be a stranger. Really good people here.

Bob
EN
Ed_Nicholson
May 2, 2005
Thanks Bob and Beth. You have saved me having to repair head holes in my dry wall. I will be reading up on and following the PSE topics. Thanks again for all the help. Ed
EN
Ed_Nicholson
May 3, 2005
Bob — quick question, I was used to having the ability in PS Album to show a pic full screen from their organizer. I don’t see that this capability exists (at least it isn’t listed in the dialog box) for PSE organizer. Is there some way you can get a full screen showing of a single pic? Ed
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 3, 2005
Ed,

The closest I’ve found is Photo Review under the View menu but it still uses a strip along the side to show thumbnails of the pics selected in Organizer.

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections