PS CS scanner profile to working space profile conversion problem?

C
Posted By
craig__schultz
Nov 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Background: I have been using PS v6 for a few years, since I never felt the need to upgrade to v7, and just recently upgraded to PS CS. I use Silverfast with a Polaroid Sprint Scan 4000 (original hardware version) with IT8 calibration to scan all my slides. I have also hardware calibrated my monitor with Photocal and the Spyder. Everything works great from a color management point of view in PS6; from scan to print.

Problem: During a few days of testing PS CS I noticed some very strange behavior in the way it converts from my scanner profile to Adobe RGB (my working space). On any slide scan with shadows, PS CS’s conversion will greatly reduce the contrast and saturation of anything in those shadows. Since I mostly shoot landscapes at sunrise/sunset you can see my problem.

This conversion issue can be duplicated most easily using a scan that is still in the scanners color space and has very saturated colors in the shadows (fall trees at sunrise for example). What seems to be happening, is PS CS is not honoring the black point in the scanner profile and causes the black point to be twice as high as PS6 (i.e. 777 in PS6 will not be 14,14,14 in PS CS) and causes colors in the shadows to be greatly less saturated.

Soft proofing using the same printer profiles in PS CS also shows drastic differences from PS6, most likely related and may help in trouble shooting this issue.

What I have tried: In setting up PS CS I made sure the color settings were the same by saving my PS6 settings to a file and then loaded them in PS CS. I also removed the Adobe gamma loader program from the startup menu after the PS CS install and rebooted to remove it from my system. I made sure the monitor profile generated by Photocal was loaded as my monitors default profile in Windows XP Pro and was shown in the Color settings dialog box as being used for my monitor.

I then loaded an original scan (doesn’t matter if the scan was done in PS 6 vs. PS CS) that is still in my scanners space and converted it to Adobe RGB at the profile mismatch dialog in both PS6 and PS CS. Save both files, then load them both in PS6 then PS CS. The files now show two completely different renderings of the scene with the PS CS version having a strong veil/haze in the shadows (lack of contrast and saturation). It didn’t matter which version of PS was used for this comparison after the conversion to Adobe RGB, they both show exactly the same results. So I believe this removes the chance that I set something up wrong in PS CS and the monitor profile seems to be used in both correctly too.

No matter how much work you do on the PS CS version you can not get it to look like the default conversion in PS6 (which is what the scene looks like, as it’s a match to the slide). I have also tested converting a scanned color chart someone else scanned and created a profile for; it showed the same problem and I feel has eliminted the possibility that my scanner profile is corrupt in some way. Has anyone else seen this problem with scanner based profile conversions in PS CS?

At this point it looks like I will not be using PS CS until this issue can be resolved as if it can’t do my scanner profile conversion correctly color management is out the window. This is a shame as I really love the new version for usability and new features.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 11, 2003
It sounds like your scanner profile has some bugs in it that were addressed in Photoshop 7 or CS (we’re constantly making fixes to comply with the ICC spec. and to deal with bad profiles as best we can).

Have you tried changing the BPC setting?

Have you tried remaking the scanner profile (or updating the profiling software)?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections