B
Posted By
BigBuck98
Feb 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been trying to create a drop shadow on the edges of a picture in Photoshop Elements 2.0. In "layer styles" it shows the shadow down the right side and bottom, but when I create the shadow on my picture it is down the left side and bottom. Does anyone know how I can correct this?

Thanks in advance,
Gordon

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

C
Corey
Feb 13, 2005
With the layer styles panel open you can drag the shadow to wherever you want it by clicking and dragging right on the file itself. I use Photoshop, but I think the feature is the same. You should also be able to right-click on the tiny "f" in the layers palette and "create a layer" for your effects which will allow them to be manipulated independently from the original layer.

Peadge 🙂

"BigBuck98" wrote in message
I have been trying to create a drop shadow on the edges of a picture in Photoshop Elements 2.0. In "layer styles" it shows the shadow down the
right
side and bottom, but when I create the shadow on my picture it is down the left side and bottom. Does anyone know how I can correct this?
Thanks in advance,
Gordon

PD
postman delivers
Feb 13, 2005
"Peadge" wrote in message
With the layer styles panel open you can drag the shadow to wherever you want it by clicking and dragging right on the file itself. I use
Photoshop,
but I think the feature is the same. You should also be able to
right-click
on the tiny "f" in the layers palette and "create a layer" for your
effects
which will allow them to be manipulated independently from the original layer.

Peadge 🙂

"BigBuck98" wrote in message
I have been trying to create a drop shadow on the edges of a picture in Photoshop Elements 2.0. In "layer styles" it shows the shadow down the
right
side and bottom, but when I create the shadow on my picture it is down
the
left side and bottom. Does anyone know how I can correct this?
Thanks in advance,
Gordon

To follow-up Peadge information –

Make certain you have chosen the shape layer in the Layers Palette (f11) if you do not have it displayed, double-click the italic f and a dialog box appears – (style settings) A round clock like object in the upper left is labeled lighting angle.

Make certain preview is checked in this Style Setting Dialog Box and hold the left mouse button down move the dial around in the circle lettingup at the 12, 3, 6, 9 angles it is apparent how this works… You also have a shadow distance slider to use for more adjustments….

I have also copied the Help file explanation below for your reference –

JR the postman

—————————
You can edit a layer’s style settings to adjust the effect. You can also copy style settings between layers and remove a style from a layer.

—————————-

To edit a layer’s style settings:

1.. Do one of the following:
a.. Double-click the "f" icon in the Layers palette.
b.. Choose Layer > Layer Style > Style Settings.
2.. To preview the changes in your image, select Preview.
3.. Adjust one or more of the following settings, and click OK. If a
setting is dimmed, it is not available for the effect you are using. Lighting Angle

Specifies the lighting angle at which the effect is applied to the layer.

Use Global Light

Applies the lighting angle to all styles in the image. Using a global angle gives the appearance of a consistent light source shining on the image.

Shadow Distance

Specifies the distance of a drop shadow from the layer’s content.

Outer Glow Size

Specifies the size of a glow that emanates from the outside edges of the layer’s content.

Inner Glow Size

Specifies the size of a glow that emanates from the inside edges of the layer’s content.

Bevel Size

Specifies the size of beveling along the inside edges of the layer’s content.

Bevel Direction

Specifies the direction of the bevel, either up or down.

To change the scale of a layer style:

You can only change the scale of Shadow Distance, Outer Glow or Inner Glow Size, and Bevel Size.

1.. In the Layers palette, select the layer containing style effects you want to scale.
2.. Choose Layer > Layer Style > Scale Effect.
3.. To preview the changes in your image, select Preview.
4.. Specify how much you want to scale the effects. For example, if you
are increasing the size of an outer glow, 100% is the current scale; 200% doubles the glow size.
5.. Click OK.
To copy style settings between layers:

1.. In the Layers palette, select the layer containing the style settings you want to copy.
2.. Choose Layer > Layer Style > Copy Layer Style.
3.. Select the destination layer in the Layers palette, and choose Layer >
Layer Style > Paste Layer Style.
To remove a layer style:

1.. In the Layers palette, select the layer containing the style you want to remove.
2.. Do one of the following:
a.. Choose Layer > Layer Style > Clear Layer Style.
b.. Click Clear Style in the Layer Styles palette.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections