Posted By
TigerEyes
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all,

I am feeling pretty silly! It’s been so long since I did a drop shadow with a gradient fill…

can someone post the instructions on how to do a drop shadow with a gradient that doesn’t dither!!

I have photoshop 7 and don’t want the built in canned look.

thanks, Peg

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
customersupport
Jun 2, 2004
TigerEyes wrote:

Hello all,

I am feeling pretty silly! It’s been so long since I did a drop shadow with a gradient fill…

can someone post the instructions on how to do a drop shadow with a gradient that doesn’t dither!!

thanks, Peg
One way I would handle this issue is to make a layer copy of whatever it is you are wanting to make a drop shadow for (i.e. an object, text, etc). Set that copied layer under the original by dragging and releasing the layer in the layer pallete. Once done, click the lock transparency button and fill that copied layer with black. Click the lock transparency button again to unlock the transparency of the locked layer. CTRL or CMND click the copied layer to select all of it. Make a layer mask by clicking the layer mask button in the layer pallete. Once you see it pop up in the layer pallete, select the linear gradient tool and fill in the layer mask which should be in your copied layer. This procedure will make the copied layer look like the shape of your original object, filled with black and has a gradient. To give it a shadow look, deselect the copied layer by clicking CMND or CTRL D and select: Filter, Blur, Gaussian Blur. Choose your settings for your Gaussian blur and click OK. It now looks like a shadow with a gradient. To add more realism, you might want to tweak that copied layer’s (the new shadow) opacity and blending mode. That will do it. You don’t need special filters. That’s the way I like to work with PS.

noone
Jun 26, 2004
In article <AK8vc.32697$ says…
Hello all,

thanks, Peg

A quick solution to the dither is to do a Gaussian Blur to it. The banding should go away, just experiment with the amount setting.

Hunt

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections