Posted By
toby_j
Apr 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, (using Photoshop 7)

I’m somewhat of a novice with Photoshop, but I would like to know how to add a drop shadow that appears only below the image. I use drop shadows frequently under layer style, but I cannot create a drop shadow that appears only below the image; the shadows I create are around the entire object.

I see this effect all the time in print media or Web graphics but have not figured out how to create it.

Thanks for any feedback!
Toby

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JR
John_R_Nielsen
Apr 16, 2004
Play around with the Size, Spread, and Distance settings, as well as the angle in the lighting direction "joystick" thingie, and you should be able to get the look you’re after.
L
larry
Apr 16, 2004
Don’t forget that you have to expand the canvas to see the drop shadow once you add it to the picture:
<http://www.bermangraphics.com/tips/photoshopds.htm>

Larry Berman
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Apr 16, 2004
Or if you are looking to create a cast shadow,(something that looks like an object is being hit with light, like a person’s shadow on a sidewalk) Layer styles will not work in this instance and you have to create these shadows on a new layer from a selection, blur them and play with blending modes to acheive the proper effect.
PB
Phatty Boombatty
Apr 16, 2004
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 16:59:18 -0700, wrote:

Hi, (using Photoshop 7)

I’m somewhat of a novice with Photoshop, but I would like to know how to add a drop shadow that appears only below the image. I use drop shadows frequently under layer style, but I cannot create a drop shadow that appears only below the image; the shadows I create are around the entire object.

I see this effect all the time in print media or Web graphics but have not figured out how to create it.

Thanks for any feedback!
Toby

Also, in Layer Styles, uncheck the global lighting radio button, and adjust the angle… I usually use around 135′ – hope that helps.
S
suzwil
Apr 18, 2004
There are a lot of ways to make custom shadows, one way is to go to LAYER-LAYER STYLE-CREATE LAYER, this will actually convert the shadow into its own layer, then you can use a soft edged eraser and erase away the portions of the shadow you dont want. Also you can draw your own shadow from scratch with the pen tool, convert the PATH to a selection by hitting CTRL-ENTER or going to the path palette and clicking on CONVERT PATH TO SELECTION, then you can feather the selection, SELECTION-FEATHER, then fill the selection with 50% or so gray. Make sure this shadow is on its own layer, then you can gaussian blur the shadow, change its opacity in the layers palette etc.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections