JE
Posted By
jim evans
Jun 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve noticed odd behavior with the drop shadow before, but this latest one is a problem for me.

I start with an image containing a layer with a drop shadow falling onto the background layer. I enlarge the canvas (Image > Canvas Size) from 1000 pixels to 1001 pixels, and the drop shadow grows by a factor of 7-8 times. What’s going on and how do I prevent it without flattening the image?

jim

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TT
Tom Thomas
Jun 16, 2004
jim evans wrote:

I start with an image containing a layer with a drop shadow falling onto the background layer. I enlarge the canvas (Image > Canvas Size) from 1000 pixels to 1001 pixels, and the drop shadow grows by a factor of 7-8 times. What’s going on and how do I prevent it without flattening the image?

Frequently, odd behavior of layer effects occurs when you are not working at 100% magnification. Often the problem is solved if you view at 100%.

If this isn’t your situation I would next wonder whether your video drivers are the most current for your hardware.
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
JE
jim evans
Jun 16, 2004
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:34:00 -0400, Tom Thomas
wrote:

jim evans wrote:

Frequently, odd behavior of layer effects occurs when you are not working at 100% magnification. Often the problem is solved if you view at 100%.

If this isn’t your situation I would next wonder whether your video drivers are the most current for your hardware.

Thanks for your reply.

If I understand, you’re suggesting the effect is an illusion — not actually happening. When I save the file and later reload it, the very much too wide shadow is still there. Do you agree this eliminates possibility of an illusion?

jim
E
edjh
Jun 17, 2004
jim evans wrote:
I’ve noticed odd behavior with the drop shadow before, but this latest one is a problem for me.

jim

IN 7 and earlier you have to scale effects manually, Layer>Layer Styles>Scale Effects. In CS I believe there is a checkbox in the Layer Styles dialog that allows it to happen automatically or not.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
TT
Tom Thomas
Jun 17, 2004
jim evans wrote:

If I understand, you’re suggesting the effect is an illusion — not actually happening. When I save the file and later reload it, the very much too wide shadow is still there. Do you agree this eliminates possibility of an illusion?

Well, if the problem involves video drivers or magnification and you’re simply saving and reloading using the same magnification and same video drivers then, no, I’m not sure it proves anything. If you print the file before you increase canvas size by one pixel, then print the new version, do they print as they appear on-screen?

There might indeed be a problem other than those I suggested, but I’ve been unable to reproduce the problem here so it’s pretty difficult to diagnose.
——————————-
Tom

Unsolicited advertisements cheerfully ignored.
JE
jim evans
Jun 18, 2004
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:38:18 -0400, Tom Thomas
wrote:

jim evans wrote:

Well, if the problem involves video drivers or magnification and you’re simply saving and reloading using the same magnification and same video drivers then, no, I’m not sure it proves anything. If you print the file before you increase canvas size by one pixel, then print the new version, do they print as they appear on-screen?

I haven’t printed one but I have saved a flattened image as jpg and the jpg has the deformed shadow when viewed in IrfanView.

jim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections