PW
Posted By
Paul W
Jan 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I use Custom Shapes to cut out a shape from a picture?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
Corey
Jan 29, 2005
One thing you may want to do is use the Custom Shape Tool as a vector mask. Drag out the tool and make the custom shape of the desired size. Holding SHFT will constrain proportions. Then go to your Layers Palette and select the layer you wish to "cut out" by clicking on the layer to make it blue. Drag the Layer Mask from the Custom Shape Layer to the Layer Mask Icon at the bottom of the palette. This will apply the mask to the selected layer. Delete the Custom Shape layer or hide it by turning off the eye.

If you want to turn the shape into a selection, just open up the Paths Palette, click on the tiny triangle at the top-right and select "make selection." Go to the layer you wish to "cut out" and either press delete to get rid of the contents, or Press SHFT+CTRL+I to Select Inverse and delete to get rid of everything but.

You can also feather either versions.

Peadge 🙂

"Paul W" wrote in message
How do I use Custom Shapes to cut out a shape from a picture?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections